Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheeky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at computers and am leaning towards the Zoop. I'm new to diving so don't want/need all the bells and whistles.........don't want to be "that" person on the boat that can't figure out their computer because it's too advanced for them. I realize I will eventually upgrade but just need an entry level for now. The pros and cons of this computer from users would be appreciated.

.............don't want to be "that" person on the boat that can't figure out their computer .......
1) Read manual
2) Take online tutorial ..... (ask your LDS for activation code)
3) Play with the computer simulators

[video=youtube;vuE9_sZs7lM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuE9_sZs7lM[/video]

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I've got a Gekko but AFAIK it's almost the same as the Zoop (I think they turned on the ability to download, which used to be a hack.) Suuntos are known to be more conservative than some other brands, some people see that as a good thing others as a bad thing.

Pros - it's a perfectly fine Nitrox computer and fairly inexpensive. You say you know you will eventually upgrade, but depending where your diving takes you you may discover you don't see a need.

Cons
- The user interface is OK, but has been around and not changed much in a long time. For various reasons I've always had Suuntos, but it seems some others have nicer UIs.
- The battery is user changeable, but is a pain in the neck to change if you don't have 3 hands, and probably even then.

Zoop is a great starter computer, easy to understand the important info in the water. I have a cobra and I will say that the user interface for the menus is a hard to navigate. Honestly once it is set up there is not much to fuss with.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'll be doing my AOW so wondering about a compass. Should I get a computer with a compass?

Hi there, I have used a Gekko(same as Zoop) for many years until I lost it, long story. They are very simple to use and very reliable. For the average OW rec diver they offer all you will ever need. They don't have a backlight (phosphorescent) so when night diving you"ll need to "charge" them with your light. Id certainly recommend one.

As for compass I like mine separate so wear my compass (Suunto SK7) on my left wrist and computer on my right.

Id strongly recommend you go to Deep Sea Supply website and look at getting a bungee mount for your Zoop if you get it and ditto your compass should you decide to get one. I have been using these mounts for years and just love them they are a wonderful invention and make putting on and off a breeze.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=48

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47

Last edited:
Zoop is a fine computer for the recreational diver. It has everything you need. Some people want more, but those are the "bells and whistles".

The only real 'missing' features are a backlight - the Phosphorescent display is perfectly adequate for night diving though, as you'll have a torch anyway and it's quicker to shine a torch than to start pressing buttons.

It has gauge mode - so can be used for technical dives as a bottom-timer/depth gauge.
It has single nitrox up to 50% - more than you'd need as a recreational nitrox diver.
It is good for 99m/330ft and 99 min bottom-time - more than you'd need as a recreational diver.
Suunto RGBM is a well tested algorithm - tending to be conservative, but that's arguably a very good thing.

As Buddhasummer recommends, the DSS bungee mount is a fine addition - a much better way to wear the computer on your arm.

A separate analogue compass is much easier to use. I, personally, wouldn't pay extra for having an integrated digital compass.

Zoop is a fine computer for the recreational diver. It has everything you need. Some people want more, but those are the "bells and whistles".

The only real 'missing' features are a backlight - the Phosphorescent display is perfectly adequate for night diving though, as you'll have a torch anyway and it's quicker to shine a torch than to start pressing buttons.

It has gauge mode - so can be used for technical dives as a bottom-timer/depth gauge.
It has single nitrox up to 50% - more than you'd need as a recreational nitrox diver.
It is good for 99m/330ft and 99 min bottom-time - more than you'd need as a recreational diver.
Suunto RGBM is a well tested algorithm - tending to be conservative, but that's arguably a very good thing.

As Buddhasummer recommends, the DSS bungee mount is a fine addition - a much better way to wear the computer on your arm.

A separate analogue compass is much easier to use. I, personally, wouldn't pay extra for having an integrated digital compass.

Ditto!

been using one after i sold my other "bells and whistles" comps to feed my camera habit and don't know why i just didn't get one of these in the first place. great little comp for what i do....

The 'good thing' point has been debated on the forum considerably. Just want to make sure the original poster understands what 'conservative' means in practical terms.

It means the Suunto will give you shorter NDL (no decompression limit) dive times before declaring you in deco. This can seriously annoy dive buddies who dive computers with more liberal algorithms, such as I think Oceanic Worldwide dive computers tend to default to?

If you dive with another Suunto user, or if you are an air hog (common when new, and for some of us common later on, too) who runs low on air before running low on NDL time left, this may never seem like an issue for you. But if you & your buddy are good with air, you may be jabbing him in the arm signaling let's go up, I'm almost out of NDL, and he's looking at you like what's your problem, he's got plenty!

Everybody has to decide for him/herself whether how important this issue is (if at all). I like all the dive time I can get, but I dive an Atomic Cobalt which I'm told has a 'moderate' algorithm but other features (great ease-of-use menu system) were the clincher for me.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom