Annual service for BCD with integrated octo: fair price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbagump

Registered
Reaction score
I took my BCD in to get it an annual service for $35 performed on it. They said they would call me when they finished. A couple weeks later I ended up calling them and they told me they would require an extra $55 because it had an integrated octo in the inflator and that I would need to bring in my LP hose for them. I was absolutely surprised that the price more than DOUBLED and it totaled $90 just because of the octo. I haven't decided to go through wih it yet because I want to know if its fair or not.

Has anyone else had to pay this much for their BCD integrated octo annual service? This doesn't seem like a fair price. Thanks.

Remember that you are talking about servicing a BC and a second stage.

First of all why is the BC getting serviced? Generally if you are doing good flushes after each dive day and the inflator valve is operating crisply no professional attention is needed. You do want to be personally checking for wear, stress, chaffing and so forth at regular intervals. $35 is at the high end of prices I have seen for giving a once over and sanitizing the bladder

The octo inflater should be serviced in conjunction with your regulator so it's matched when tuned to the intermediate pressure of your second stage. The going rate for servicing a stage is ~$25 labor plus parts. Parts may be covered under your warranty, I don't know. $55 may be warranted if non covered parts are needed.

In summary the BC service may not be needed and I would sync the service of all regulator "octopus" components.

Pete

$55 to service an Octo/inflator is a bit high. $25 for labor plus 20 for parts would be on the high side of fair. The real ripoff is $35 for the BCD (minus any inflator) charge. BCD service should include servicing the inflator that you don't have and that is probably half the effort. I would expect the whole job for no more than $65 including a kit for the octo/inflator.

I have never gotten a BCD serviced so yea, I think you are getting ripped off.

I assume things cost a bit more in Chicago then they do in FL. A check/service for a BC here is about $15 plus parts (o rings and dump valve seals). Your octo/inflator is another matter. Labor to service this item is about $25 plus parts, and most parts kits cost at least $25. So your $55 for the octo/inflator rebuild seems about right.

Thank you all for your advice. I will probably end up NOT doing the service here.

Remember that you are talking about servicing a BC and a second stage.

First of all why is the BC getting serviced? Generally if you are doing good flushes after each dive day and the inflator valve is operating crisply no professional attention is needed. You do want to be personally checking for wear, stress, chaffing and so forth at regular intervals. $35 is at the high end of prices I have seen for giving a once over and sanitizing the bladder

The octo inflater should be serviced in conjunction with your regulator so it's matched when tuned to the intermediate pressure of your second stage. The going rate for servicing a stage is ~$25 labor plus parts. Parts may be covered under your warranty, I don't know. $55 may be warranted if non covered parts are needed.

In summary the BC service may not be needed and I would sync the service of all regulator "octopus" components.

Pete

Thanks for your help. I am getting it serviced because it leaks out the integrated octo IE getting a annual service will replace the broken seal. I would do it myself but I do not have the time. I believe you make a good point when servicing the regulator with the octo which is what I'll do.

Agree with the rest on the octo inflator. You didn't say what model it is so the price for parts and labor could vary widely. As for BC service I have never had one done and if someone wanted theirs done I'd probably charge in the neighborhood of 25 bucks or so including o rings and rinse. If I needed to replace the inflator due to neglect then I'd add in the cost of it. Dump valves rarely go bad unless they have been abused or neglected. If one of my regular customers asked me to service a bc or wing they bought from me and were local I'd do it for free and show them how to do it at the same time. If they wanted to pay me they could bring me a pizza or sub. If it was a non local then they'd pay shipping plus fifteen bucks for my time. Does not take long to do a bc. Longest part is waiting for it to dry before shipping it back.

Disclaimer I own a scuba shop so I am biased. How much does x cost? Gas cost 40 cents less in NJ right over the bridge from NY. Same gas different state. Also anything done at a professional store front cost more than the same thing done by anyone not paying rent, insurance and trying to make a living at their chosen craft. Where I am rent is almost as much as NY city. I do not know Mr Lapenta and while he may be able to do the service for a pizza I can not pay my rent working for that compensation. Not saying I am better or worse just it is a business and I need to make a living so I charge what I need to keep the doors open.

Disclaimer I own a scuba shop so I am biased. How much does x cost? Gas cost 40 cents less in NJ right over the bridge from NY. Same gas different state. Also anything done at a professional store front cost more than the same thing done by anyone not paying rent, insurance and trying to make a living at their chosen craft. Where I am rent is almost as much as NY city. I do not know Mr Lapenta and while he may be able to do the service for a pizza I can not pay my rent working for that compensation. Not saying I am better or worse just it is a business and I need to make a living so I charge what I need to keep the doors open.

Well, you seem to be qualified. What would your price be to service a BCD with octo/inflator?

Fortunately bc service does not pay my rent. My real job does that. And unless it doesn't work, hold air, or is full of crap in the bladder a bc does not need an annual service. That is just silly. Proper care has resulted in one of mine needing any kind of involved service in over 8 years now. And that was due to a mfg design defect. Otherwise 15 minutes and a few basic tools is all that's required. If you can change a faucet washer in your sink you can "service" a bc.
And that's now 5 bc's and six wings so far.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom