Air integrated computers w/ transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acteg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey scubaboard,

I heard that manufacturers were going to start moving away from the transmitter style integrated computers. I've read back and forth about reliability issues with them, losing connectivity, etc. Any ideas on how reliable these things really are?

I've got two options right now.

I have a suunto vyper air

Suunto Vyper Air Wrist Computer (Complete System)

I also have an aeris atmos ai w/ quick disconnect and compass (which I am currently using)

Aeris Atmos AI Air Integrated Computer Console, with Compass & Quick Disconnect

I've decided that I should only keep one. I like that the aeris is connected to the hose, so there is no transmitter to worry about breaking or maintaining. I see the aeris as having one point of failure. The computer itself. When I dive I hook the computer onto my waist strap d ring, and check it occasionally, until it's time to surface, then I watch it like a hawk lol.

The suunto is nice and I've heard good things and bad things about suunto computers. I've heard the algorithms suck, the computer interface is so so, and some people have issues with them flooding. The suunto has 2 points of failure. The computer and the transmitter. I think it's probably not likely for either to fail, but I have more thing that can fail so naturally the probability is higher vs the aeris. I imagine a watch style computer will be more convenient for diving (haven't dove it yet), but at the end of the day I'd rather have reliability over convenience.

I do keep a set of analog gauges in the gear bag as a backup.

What do you guys/girls think?

The Liquivision Lynx solves all previous issues related to transmitters, and adds a dozen other features. Something to keep in mind.

Even a hosed computer can fail, like the recent recall on certain computers that would explode from excess air pressure.

Reactions: Jax
I never had one single problem with my transmitter. But of course, it is not a replacement of a analog pressure gauge: I always dive with both!

The Liquivision Lynx solves all previous issues related to transmitters, and adds a dozen other features. Something to keep in mind.

Even a hosed computer can fail, like the recent recall on certain computers that would explode from excess air pressure.

Why is your transmitter better than anyone else's transmitter? I'm missing the link, as it were.

R..

---------- Post Merged at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:17 AM ----------

What do you guys/girls think?

As for air integrated computers generally, I've used one in the past and it lost connection on a regular basis, especially in very cold water. I think in that case it had to do with the batteries getting cold so I'm sure not all computers will have this problem. Ultimately I decided to put an spg back on my kit for the backup and once I did that, the entire point of having an AI computer became kind of moot. I sold it and bought another computer (a Vytec) but didn't buy the transmitter. It's too much money for too little functionality, if you ask me.

R..

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. It does seem like a lot of extra money for a little convenience (or trouble if it fails). It also seems really cool for a gadget guy like myself. :dork2:

I've got ~500 dives on my Vytec DS with transmitter over the last 6 years. Never ever lost the signal, other than once or twice where I walked away from my rig on the boat/land while still wearing my computer on my wrist.

:d

It does seem like a lot of extra money for a little convenience (or trouble if it fails).

Isn't Suunto giving away transmitters now through the end of the year?

I have an Oceanic OC1 and my wife has a VT4. The only time we lose signal is when we walk away from our tanks! They are both very reliable, though we do still carry small spgs tucked away as backup. Perhaps early units were problematic ( like ant new technology), but I think they are here to stay and I like mine very much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom