Newbie BP/W questions about weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but I just "inherited" my very first BP/W rig (a former student was diagnosed with severe asthma, so he gave me his BP/W), and I am totally new to this system as my previous BCD's were either Seaquest (Balance) or Zeagle (Ranger LTD).

So, the rig in question is a DSS (single tank) which I'm told is an excellent brand. However, as you will note from above I have worn weight-integrated BCD's over the past several years (unless demonstrating a weight belt skill to students) and I've really become used to the feeling of not wearing a weight belt.

If the stainless DSS BP weighs about 5lbs. and I would like an additional 5 lbs. but prefer NOT to put it on a belt, what are my options?
Looking at the DSS website I did not see any "pockets" specifically designed to attach onto the harness....or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

Alternatively, are there any after-market (or generic brand) weight pouches that have belt "loops" that can be attached to the belt of my DSS harness?

Sorry if these are foolish questions, but I'm in the dark on all this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

HB

HB,

If you are prone not to wear a weight belt, DIve Rite makes weight pockets that slide onto the waist belt. I use them and like them a lot. If you need more weight in back you can get small Cam strap weight pockets.

BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Enjoy the BP/W...

~Oldbear~

You may not need additional weight with the bp/w. unlike jackets, there is no additional padding to make it more buoyant. But, if you do need additional weight, putting a weight pocket or 2 on the cam bands work. As does threading lead straight onto the cam bands.

I usually put a few lbs in generic weight pouches I have installed on the cam bands. XS Scuba makes some pretty good ones at a decent price:

XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts

Do a very careful weight check. You may find that you won't need that 5 pounds because the BP/W doesn't have all that padding you used to have weight yourself for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A weighted single tank adapter works well as does the aforementioned pockets, XS has several that are excellent and UTD has awesome pockets that use Velcro so you don't have to unthread your harness to install.

Have you noticed the weightplates which you can bolt to your DSS backplate? I like them, but they are moree of weight than you're looking for: 6-10 pounds, depending on size of the plate and non ditchable. Dive Rite weigt pockets mentioned above are good, too.

I use a couple "trim" pockets on the cam bands of my BP/W. I have also used the Halcyon ACB pockets. They are a good secure method of putting additional, ditchable weight on my waist. My wife has the Zeagle weight system, but it requires holes on the backplate in certain places which I think are specific to Zeagle plates.

Yeah, I agree with the weight check thing. You may need less than 5lb. Even if you do, I will suggest give a weight belt a try first before investing on other options. Chances are you will find 5lb on weight belt is very manageable, maybe you won't even notice it is there.

If I use a weight belt in the tropics I use a rubber belt. Because I prefer to have the couple of pounds of lead I do need to carry towards my head I just thread a lead block onto my top cam band. I can ditch my can light though, and do carry an SMB for extra floatation if needed.

Back
Top Bottom