BP/W DM Course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike.D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

Been watching some DM training and courses (skills stress test and full gear swap) videos on youtube and it struck me: How would you go about this with a BP/W setup 7ft primary hose bungeed occy single tank? All the videos have the DM recruits in a simple jacket style BCD and most with integrated weights making the equipment exchange very easy.
I find taking of and putting my gear back on easy while diving as i generally practice alot of skills towards the end of my dives however would this present a problem with a buddy who is unfamiliar with my setup and how to properly don it? (Will be doing DM course solo)
So, has anyone done there DM/instructor course with this setup??
Cheers
-Mike

I did my DM class in a backplate, except for a few things. I have to dive a more standard setup in the pool with our LDS, so I did the gear exchange, and the gear remove and replace on the bottom, in the setup I had.

Honestly, I have learned that it is FAR easier to do the gear remove/replace in midwater, pulling the gear over your head, than it is to try to balance yourself on the bottom of the pool.

I could see some issues with the gear swap, if you didn't practice with your buddy ahead of time.

Does your BCD have a crotch strap??

Cheat.

I used to do all skills in BP/w long hose config up to Equipment removal. When it got to that point I borrowed a shop jacket and demo'd to the students in that config. After all they were wearing BCD's as opposed to wings. For 90% of the course it made no difference, but for those few skills I thought it was worth it having matching equipment.

Still with the long hose though, wouldn't trust shop regs! :D

I can't imagine demonstrating a skill in a bp/wing with a long hose when the diver I'm demonstrating to wears a bcd with a short hose... Seems counterintuitive to me unless the shop you work for/with only has bp/wings with longhoses!

I taught in BP/W with long hose for years. Students had either the same or jacket BCD/short hose. It mattered not. Proper briefing. Clear demo. Some inventiveness. No problems.

Did you find the equipment exchange a bit tricky with the way the long hose is routed/did your buddy?

If any basic open water skills become 'tricky' just because you're using a BP/W and/or long-hose... there's some significant skill deficit to overcome. Probably not right for the diver to be entering a DM course, rather than the BP/W.

It's usually the best idea to wear the same BC style as your students would be wearing, ie; jacket style BCD and to save your wing for your own recreational diving. If you go on to become an Instructor you should wear the same kit as the DC rents to it's students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom