Cheapo Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Dive Rite Niteck Plus computer that was overpriced for what it was when I bought it. But being new at the time....you don't know what you don't know, right?
Anyway, it was time for a new battery (nope, not user friendly). So, I called to get mailing instructions, would they email me w/mail address attachment, price, if they check it out....what depth & run it thru functions.
I was told I had to send it on my dime...no email attachment which BTW other companies provide. Cost me $14 to mail. But wait, it gets better. Yes they do check computer out but only take it down to 150'. New, it's supposed to be good to 300 and some feet. Now, you may ask, Joe, you'll never go that deep, what's the problem? The problem is, you hydro at higher pressures than normal to make sure it doesn't leak. I should know because I've hyro tested run of the mill pipe, main steam and boilers for over 20 years. It's always 1-1/2 X operating or design depending on spec. Anyway, I was told $35 and mail it.
I was going to put a $35 money order in package but I decided to call Dive Rite and give them my credit card number. When I called, they told me it was going to be $37.50 + shipping. Good thing I didn't enclose $35 money order, huh?

So, lets recap: $14 to mail it, $37.50 for battery & pizz poor hydro + whatever they charge to mail it back this way.
I will never buy Dive Rite equip ever again. And that's a promise.

Email attachment for what? Why did it cost you $14 to mail from Merritt Island? You should complain to the USPS about that. Where do you get it's "always 1-1/2 X operating or design"? It's a dive computer, not a boiler.

I personally don't see anything wrong with any of what you have said. Is there more to the story you are not telling? Aside from maybe the $35 to $37.50. Did you ask for the $35 in the email price quote to be honored?

Dive Rite has always given me excellent customer service. I have owned their products since 2002, and never had an issue.

Sorry, don't see what the problem is either. You did after all choose to pay the price you paid for the computer. You did send it to get the battery replaced again your choice. If it was a warranty issue then then things would have been different. I'm my experience DR have always provided excellent service. You requested service and were charged accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom