Late November dive trip suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alisonjones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hubby and I want to dive over the week of U.S. Thanksgiving, Nov. 23-30ish. Seeking your suggestions, pronto!

We love Cozumel, and alternate every other year with a different spot. Here's what we like (don't laugh), in no particular order:

* Must be (fairly) easily accessible via air from Atlanta, so 20-hour travel times with multiple transit changes are likely a deal-breaker.

* Nice weather (we know this isn't guaranteed, but don't want to hit the rainy season somewhere, for example).

* Prefer close-in boat dives, no more than, say, a 30-minute ride from shore.

* Healthy reef and marine population!

* We really enjoy pleasant accommodations. It is vacation, after all! (El Presidente is our Cozumel home)

* Love to snorkel right from the hotel beach after a day of diving.

* Don't need lots of nightlife. Don't want to see a million people at the hotel pool or compete for sidewalk space with cruise passengers in town (sad to see Cozumel change since the cruise port). Don't want to feel like I need to wear jewelry and makeup at dinner! Local scenery/culture is nice.

I know this sounds picky! We are flexible, believe it or not. Anyone care to take a stab at this? We'd be forever grateful and would even consider naming our next pet after you :)

Little Cayman Reef Resort.(What a surprise) November is end of Hurricane season, dry and not much happening. Water is warm and your only a few hours away. Let me know if there is a better place in the Caribbean. I have always wanted to try Turks and Caicos, but Cayman seems easier to get to. Safe travels.

Alison, you've been to Belize before but have you been to Ambergris Caye before?

It has everything you have described. The beach snorkeling is not generally on the reef but still enjoyable at the end of most docks.

Or how about Roatan? Also has everything you've described as well as snorkelling off of beach at West Bay.

That said as mentioned you are looking at the tail end of hurricane season so no weather guarantees. I've been to the Caye mid to late November many times and have generally been able to enjoy the weather.

Curacao might be a good choice. We like the Westpunt area. Very quiet, but there's enough to do around the island. All West Apts. packages with the neighboring All West Diving. There are also condo's available from Lagun to Westpunt. Nice reefs for diving, mostly 45 to 60 feet, with good variety. Snorkeling from the shore in numerous spots, too.

TURKS & CAICOS Island!! Provo ! simple the BEST!!!!
may be liveaboard??? or resorts!!
Stunning Walls that make cayman s walls dull lol
come over and check it out!!!

I would recommend Roatan, Mayan Princess is a very nice resort, small enough that you will not be in a crowd at any time, beautiful 1bedroom apartments, with their own dive shop, which was excellent.
not sure how far that is for you though

T4e not bad for them and there are direct flights out of Atlanta. Leaving flight bookings abit late price-wise though, if that's of any concern.

tracydr, we'd love to get to bonaire! but flights (ATL-BON) are $2k pp :(

must be because of my late start, the time of year...something!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom