Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been diving for quite some time now and would like to get nitrox cert, but I would like to know why it costs so much and why there are dives required?

A few LDS' will add on the Nitrox for $100 if I am doing a separate specialty, but charge $250-$300 if I am not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a lot of money for a nitrox class, unless part of that cost includes boat fees.

Some agencies don't require dives anymore ... and there's really no need to. The only "skill" you need to demonstrate is the ability to use a nitrox analyzer to verify your mix and mark your tank with mix and MOD. After that, it works the same as air ... breathe in, breathe out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's a lot of money for a nitrox class, unless part of that cost includes boat fees.

Some agencies don't require dives anymore ... and there's really no need to. The only "skill" you need to demonstrate is the ability to use a nitrox analyzer to verify your mix and mark your tank with mix and MOD. After that, it works the same as air ... breathe in, breathe out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The cost is the reason why I haven't gotten the cert and I feel it that is the same for a lot of people. This does not include boat fees.

Look around. I was just staying north of you in Pompano Beach, and the first shop I checked charged $125 with no dives. I bet you could find a private instructor for less.

The shop I use charges $80 for the class and $94 for the pack $174 total. You can do it online through PADI (e-learning) for $220.

Both include the class time for review/discussion and learning how to analyze the tanks. No dives required.

Thanks

The $100 is added to another specialty but the standalone starts around $250. I will try to find a private instructor or perhaps the padi elearning.

Those prices sound high to me. My daughter did nitrox for $75 locally, and I did it for $125 (SSI and NAUI respectively). The only reason to do the "dives" version is if you want to go diving with your instructor for fun.

Those prices sound high to me. My daughter did nitrox for $75 locally, and I did it for $125 (SSI and NAUI respectively). The only reason to do the "dives" version is if you want to go diving with your instructor for fun.

Where did you get the nitrox at that rate? I went thru the same shop that I got certified from and they told me $275, another LDS is about $50 cheaper or $100 when added to another specialty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom