O/W Referral class questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmasin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I have no idea the best place for this question.

A friend of mine is looking to go to Bonaire, and looking to complete the open water dives with a referral with Buddy Dive. Anybody done this? Buddy Dive says "can be completed in 2 days", and 4 dives.

I'm trying to understand if my friend only gets to dive twice the first two days, will be in and out of class and won't get to dive with the rest of the group until day 3?

If that's the case referral doesn't seem like such a great option!

PS. The reason we are considering referral is the water quality and options around here... I certified here in 60*, but trying to spare my friend this LOL

Recreational Scuba Council which sets the standards for most agencies only permits a max of 3 training dives a day. 4 dives for certification take a minimum of 2 days. Most do 2 dives a day. Until certified you must be diving with an instructor or a DM with proper training.
I prefer students to certify locally because then more likely to dive regularly

I believe the 2 days are done locally--this is all the class work ( a lot less time in class if doing e learning) and all the pool sessions. The 4 dives are done down South, 2 in each day. Not sure how someone would miss a dive due to class work.

Thanks for the inputs.

I guess I didn't mean miss a dive so much as had to dive with a DM for two days (so not doing boat dives with the group etc.)

wjeiii makes it more clear. The 4 checkout dives must be spread across 2 days, and that's fair.

We were thinking the referral program simply because diving around here is a bit of a pain with some overhead... but at the end of the day it may be easiest to do it locally to just show up in Bonaire and she can dive right away. She'll just have to deal with the cold and muck! lol.

I think that the only day she won't be able to dive additional dives would be the first day; she would need to do a maximum of three check out dives that day, and save the final one for the following day. However, after completing that one on the second day (presumably in the morning) she would be a certified diver and be able to continue diving that day.

I believe that for most OW students it is preferable to learn in warm clear water, where the diving is much easier. All complex skills are taught in such a way to begin with less challenging conditions and gradually increase difficulty as the skill level improves. Diving should be no exception.

For those who live in colder climates, it is true that learning to dive in those conditions is important and should be done as well, especially to encourage local diving, but IMO this is best done after initial training in warm clear water. Maybe take AOW in colder water?

Hey all, I have no idea the best place for this question.

A friend of mine is looking to go to Bonaire, and looking to complete the open water dives with a referral with Buddy Dive. Anybody done this? Buddy Dive says "can be completed in 2 days", and 4 dives.

I'm trying to understand if my friend only gets to dive twice the first two days, will be in and out of class and won't get to dive with the rest of the group until day 3?

If that's the case referral doesn't seem like such a great option!

PS. The reason we are considering referral is the water quality and options around here... I certified here in 60*, but trying to spare my friend this LOL

Training standards for all the major agencies I'm aware of have a maximum of three dive/day for OW checkout dives, and require at least four dives.

It can be split up 2 & 2 or 3 & 1, but it has to add up to 4 and takes at least two days. this has nothing to do with Bonaire or referral and wouldn't be any different at home.

You should do it. Buddy has an awesome reef and you'll both be very happy diving and/or snorkeling on the house reef. It's beautiful on SCUBA and on snorkel.

Also, assuming you split it up 3 & 1, your buddy will be able to dive with you any time after the first dive on the second day (4th dive total), once the paperwork is done, which could easily be right after breakfast.

flots.

I agree with many that it all should be done locally. My only reason would be (as you say) to be able to just dive in Bonaire without spending time on checkout dives. Yes he'd be diving down there, but mostly doing the skills he learned at the pool, and that's two days. Trips cost a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom