Razor 2.1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There's apparently now a Razor "2.1" beyond the Razor 2. I can't find any information about the change on their website, except that the expandable pocket now has a zipper to hold it closed.

Does anyone know the differences? Or where I could find a 2.1 manual?

Thanks.

The old manual is still valid, but will be updated soon (I was told when asking that in an email).

The pouch was already available with the Razor 2.0 in its newest version and separately (it's next to perfect, by the way: slightly bigger, and more stable due to the zippers (not as easy to expand on the fly, though)).

Main change is a new triglide that also holds the wings upper attachment-point and the t-weight system (the attachments are not connected to the delta-shoulder-plate anymore and are now located below the point the bungee crosses the back).
There are also some minor (optical mostly) changes to other parts that do not seem to impact function in any way.

*disclaimer*: I am not affiliated with gosidemount in any way, I just own and love my Razor (2.0)

Thanks! Can you explain about that triglide? From the pictures on their site I'm not sure how it connects to what. Did the wing change? Is the idea that the wing is just mounted lower?

Thanks! Can you explain about that triglide?
not really, as I do not own one, yet...

It more or less replaces the normal triglide holding the loop of the vertical strap on the back that continues on to be the crotch strap.
The mounting hole for screwing in the wing is moved to the back of that triglide, attaching the wing there and turning it into another 'micro-back-plate'.
That way the wing can be mounted lower, it can still be mounted to the delta-shoulder-plate, too.
Steve Bogaerts himself has quite a long torso, enabling him to place the wing there, in my case I would still have to mount it to the Delta-shoulder-plate, as I am bit smaller.

You can see the way the wing is attached in the promo picture, the triglide itself is hidden by the wing, however.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....359526730744729.87262.200000820030655&type=1

Yeah ... Mine showed up today and I like the big pocket but I'm not such a fan of the triglide change. Webbing won't stay flat through it. I guess if I was 6'6" I'd appreciate it.

Congratulations. If you find someone to help you set it up correctly there is no better system.

I'm not such a fan of the triglide change.
The old triglide had no advantages, but you could still get one like it and use that.
The only things that change are that the wing could be attached even lower than with the extension the old wing shipped with and t-weight and wing will not get in the way of the sidemount bungee on the back when the new triglide is used.

...Webbing won't stay flat through it...
It is to stiff to stay flat easily.
After you looped everything correctly you have to use a piece of lead or something to hammer and press that setup into the resin webbing.
That way it will stay in that position virtually forever and wont get hung up on the slit in the shoulder plate when putting the Razor on.

btw.: Be careful with cutting the length of the webbing to your size, better to have to much left and bundled away for some time, then cutting off to much.

I ended up going back to the old triglide and putting the new one on the loop not to hold the webbing but just as a mounting point. Adjustments to that strap are common enough I don't want to hammer it into position.

I missed my chance to buy one last week and still did not get the chance to try it.

So if I may ask:

Why and when do you adjust the strap?
I almost never touch anything there.
But I hammered it into position with the old triglide and that does not stay 'hammered down' forever either and I have to repeat that process occasionally.

Is there a problem with using it for holding the strap and removing the normal triglide?

For myself this is a difficult change to my own setup:
I like the idea of having the bungee less encumbered, but I seem to be to small in the torso to move the wing down that much anyway
and the T-Weight System will carry significantly less weight if shortened that much.
On the other hand the bungee is easier to move, inspect and exchange and weights and buoyancy are sightly better concentrated in the ideal location.

I'm not sure what you're saying about the bungee, but the reason I adjust the spine strap is changing exposure protection. I also, frankly, have never felt like I have it adjusted *quite* right.

I'm not sure what you're saying about the bungee...
One thing that bugs me about the Razor 2.0 is that the bungee is covered by the wing and so many straps that it cannot move freely anymore and replacing it while wearing the harness is much harder than necessary.

With the new system the bungee can be threaded above the T-Weight System and also the wing with just one layer of webbing covering it.
But as I said I am probably to small to make effective use of that myself and will still have to use the shoulder plate to attach both.

the reason I adjust the spine strap is changing exposure protection.
I have worked around that by having the lower wing attachment bungee slightly shorter than necessary, so there is always a bit of pull on the bungee(s).
That way the crotch strap 'auto-adjusts' for a couple of centimeters and the wing is pulled down as flat as possible.
Ab piece of inner tube above and/or below the mini-backplate to hamper movement of the webbing there stops the webbing from sliding to much between dives.
You still have to adjust the rest of the harness, however.

Back
Top Bottom