Does diving in overcast conditions require divers to have a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolflegresley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Good Day all,

My wife and I just got back from a dive (Our last dive before Jamaica) which normally on a good day we have 15 feet vis at around 30 feet. Normally we always dive around 10 am - 2 pm but today we were running late and our second dive began around 4pm.

We hit around 20 feet and it was DARK, I mean MAYBE 5 feet vis (not to mention the area has quite a bit of particulate in the water) but we could barely see our hands fully extended.

Is it normal in overcast conditions (fully overcast) for divers to require a torch/dive light of some kind?

Not required, but a good idea. The light brings out the colors that are there but are filtered out by the depth.

Here in RI on a bright sunny day a diver needs a light after 60FSW. In the last 2 weeks I did a dive on an overcast day here and at 30fsw I needed a light. I always dive with a small light on my harness for those reasons.

On the partly cloudy days here in Alberta, I can certainly tell when the sun goes behind a cloud when I'm down to about 30-40 feet.
This is with 5-15 feet vis.

Beyond that and at any time really, the use of a light greatly depends on the vis.

Poor vis - I find a light is required to keep buddy contact from being overly difficult.

Great vis - then a cloudy day is not such a problem.

I think your experience today was because of the generally poor vis conditions and a light certainly would have helped.

In murky water, the amount of sunlight available makes a big difference. Overcast days, or late afternoons, can be quite dark. In Puget Sound, I always carry a light.

I always dive with a bright can light. Works great for communication with a dive buddy (Plus can help you stay in sight of them even though you almost can't see them during really bad vis), brings out the colors in everything around (Yesterday I was looking at pretty strawberry anenomes that weren't very pretty without light), plus lets me look under rocks as that is often where the cool fish and octopus hang out.

As to a recommendation for a light I would say something at least 1000 lumens, and preferably that can use some type of handle so you can still use your hand, and not drop the light. Of course a can light is tops!

Something like this as a minimum.
1k Shorty Dive Light - Dive Right in Scuba
Dive Beacon, Dive Lights and More - Dive Right In Scuba Has It All - Dive Right in Scuba

Where I dive, I only need a light at night. Sometimes a light in water with a lot of turbidity is worse then no light.

The need for a light is debatable, but it sure is nice to have one just in case. I don't always feel I need a light even at night, but it's comforting to have one...even a small one.

Back
Top Bottom