Wearing Snorkel on Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downunderjenn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have had recent debate over the necessity of wearing a snorkel on your mask. An instructor friend of mine insists that a Snorkel is a necessary safety device for surface breathing. Yes, it comes in handy for waves. His point was in an out of air at the surface situation it allows a diver to breath and is a necessary safety tool. I am tired of lugging it around, but always wear it due to PADI standards. What are your viewpoints on the matter?

We discussed alternative ways to keep a snorkel, in a pocket, on a knife belt at the ankle, folded up and stored on your person. I prefer it on my mask, always available if needed. However, why and how necessary is it unless you are out snorkelling?

Get a snorkle you can fold up and stash in a pocket.

I only carry one when I'm snorkeling or doing PADI training. On the surface, I swim on my back, so a snorkle wouldn't work anyhow. So far this hasn't been a problem, even in such "extreme" situations as 2 meter seas, and on a separate occasion a 1.5 hour boat abandonment.

What's a snorkel?

Money wasted in my view point. Of course we all had to have it so we could get certified. I do the same as Msilvia, float on my back. Even if the seas are rough you will ride up and not need to worry about a snorkel.

A snorkel is a tube with a mouthepiece attached to one end. This allows a diver or swimmer to swim with their face in the water while breathing. When snorkels were first invented there were several types. Today, snorkels are a certain length and diameter, made for efficient breathing.

Early snorkels could have too large an airway, too narrow an airway (which restricted breathing), be too long or too short. There were also various attempts made at keeping water out of the tube. This was accomplished through a ball and cage in the beginning. However, the ball could lodge in the cage and prevent a person from breathing. I have never found it hard to lift my head out of the water, but some people were injured by this design. Today, we see models with splash guards that do not close but try to abate the waves, and purge valves to try to ease clearing a snorkel. If the snorkel is too large or long, a diver will have a difficult if not impossible time clearing their snorkel. There is a certain possible pressure from our lungs for easily clearing a snorkel. Most types today will serve any diver. However, smaller and bigger divers may need to consider the tube size still.

Also, the curvature in the tube of the snorkel contributes to air resistance. The curvature is necessary to follow the contour of a person's face. However, it was found that the J, or U formation of the curvature inhibited breathing, and created excessive dead air space. To breath, the snorkel must be short enough that all the dead air space, a.k.a. stagnant carbon dioxide that was exhaled, can be cleared. Otherwise the diver would receive too little oxygen. This is also why you cannot breath off of a long pipe (or reed like in the movies). The hoses that extend to divers are filled with pressurized air. The diver exhales into the water.

My question with the snorkel lies in my friend's safety concerns.

When I work with classes, I wear a snorkel to be a "good" example . When I dive for fun you'll never find me wearing one. I hate them with a passion, unless of course I'm snorkeling

Easy, easy! You asked for viewpoints and I tried to present mine in a lighthearted way! No offence intended.
If you want the longer version:
I don't like snorkels - especially attached to a mask they can be much more of a hazard throughout the dive than I consider them to be useful at the surface. I actually had one of the ones you described with the ball when I was a kid - I nearly drowned with it!! I had to wear a snorkel for OW - but when I did AOW and Rescue my instructor didn't insist on it. I would be very interested to see documented proof of accidents that occured when someone didn't have a snorkel - that would have been preventable with one. On the other hand - losing or breaking my mask at depth through an entanglement become a very real danger if you do any cave or wreck penetrations - which I occasionally do as far as I'm allowed by my certification level (IANTD - Overhead Environment). If I would get an OOA situation due to some catastrophic failure of regs etc - then dumping my weights at the surface - and orally inflating my BCD - would keep me perfectly safe for as long as I needed to float there.
This is my viewpoint - others might disagree - and some might agree. As has been posted quite often on the board - snorkels are great for snorkelling - and IMO little else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom