Continuation of cons. vs. lib. computer debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckm

Reaction score
I realize this is an old, worn-out topic, but instead of talking about how different makes/models of computers are conservative or liberal, does anyone have any info that compares the different algorithms and which makes/models employ those algorithms. It seems to me that, when buying a new computer, one should first decide which algorithm they are comfortable with and then buy the computer with that alg. and the features they want.

What does the board think?

On what would you base your *feeling of comfort* in a particular algorithm.... is it all subjective from feeling to feeling or do you have some objective criteria to go from fact to feeling?

ckm:
I realize this is an old, worn-out topic, but instead of talking about how different makes/models of computers are conservative or liberal, does anyone have any info that compares the different algorithms and which makes/models employ those algorithms. It seems to me that, when buying a new computer, one should first decide which algorithm they are comfortable with and then buy the computer with that alg. and the features they want.

Scubadiving magazine often runs the kind of comparison you are after. How accurate their data is I don't know.

Frankly I'm not sure the algorithm choice makes a lot of difference from a Bent - Not Bent point of view. There are lots of dives, I expect thousands, using each of them with no injuries. It is logical that if one or the other was significantly more dangerous than others that would show in the accident statistics.

However, in all fairness to the analytical method; since we don't have any mandatory, centralized accident reporting there is no assurance the accident statistics we see are accurate. Nevertheless, DAN reports show that DCS injuries among those who follow some algorithm are so low as to be immaterial. The key is to follow the algorithm.

ckm:

If someone doesn't have any expereience diving with a computer then asking them to choose which one they're comfortable with is putting the cart before the horse, isn't it?

Also most poeple (for better or worse) don't have a clue how various computers are implemented and they *assume* all computers are safe. In fact, I would bet that most people see price as a higher priority than the algorithm.

You know what I think? I think it doesn't matter one little bit which computer you have....provided that your diving habits and skills are good enough that you and not your computer is in control. I'm not suggesting that a computer is necessarily useless but if one is looking to minor differences in algorithms to keep them safe then I think it is wise and necessary to look a layer deeper for the root issues.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom