Halimeda Ghost Pipefish - Mabul, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
When I saw a bunch of green algae on the ocean floor, I hoped I'd find one of these guys. After a couple of minutes of hovering upside down, I finally saw this one on the side of a smaller section.

22004_1001_144932AA_1.jpg

Unfortunetly, one of the DM's saw me and came over with his gaggle of divers. I didn't see him coming and suddenly this happened.

22004_1001_144908AA_1.jpg

I was furious (not for the first time on this trip). All the DM's carry these metal rods and think it is ok to use them to point out, touch, move and occasionally prod the marine life. They justify it by saying it is not 'touching' and it is OK because they know what they are doing.

IMHO even if they do 'know what they are doing' (which I doubt), they are setting a bad example for other divers who believe they can do this as well. I fee this was a fair conclusion as several guests were also carrying these rods around and using them. When I asked one of them to stop prodding the marine life he said it was OK because the DM's were doing it and so does his instructor.

BTW, this resort also has a 'no gloves' rule and makes you sign a a diving document that includes a 'no gloves' paragraph. On this policy it says that gloves are not allowed as they encourage touching the marine life.

M

alcina:
Nice find! Sorry to hear about the interruption, though!

I am mentally crossing that operation off my list for a future visit. Eyes are for looking, not metal rods....

There are much better places to go in SE Asia than Mabul/Sipidan anyway. You are much better off going to several places in The Philippines or Indonesia.

In your case of course, you are better off staying right where you are :)

M

Holy crap! I had no idea there was a pipefish evolved to resemble Halimeda to such a remarkable extent. That's friggin' amazing! Great photos too!

Our department just acquired a scientist whose specialty is seahorses and their pals... I need to get on his good side and see if we can get junk like this imported.

I'll never look at our local Gulf of Mexico pipefish the same way again!

** by the way I use my dive knife the same way the DM's use these metal rods. Much more difficult to teach without aids like this. So long as you know you're biota, it's not a valid problem.

Back
Top Bottom