So many dive computers so little knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DannyCap

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, I’m new to the boards. I’m a very new diver. I just got certified 3 months ago but I’m addicted now and I have gone diving every weekend since I got certified. I figured it was time to start buying my own gear so I went and got the basic mask, fin, snorkel, booties combo. For my next purchase I’m thinking that I really want a dive computer. I’m the kind of person that searches the internet and fully researches everything before I make a decision. That is how I ran across Scuba Boards which by the way has been very helpful. At first I was leaning toward the Suunto Gekko. It has all the features I need (for now anyways) in a dive computer. I just recently got Nitrox Certified so it’s a must that I can dive both air and nitrox. The problem I see with it is that it uses RBGM tables while I think that is a safer option I don’t want to commit myself to always having to make safety stops and doing 1 hour surface interval times, so my quest continued. My next choice was the Oceanic Versa Pro. Let me say this first, budget is a factor with me. I would never be able to justify spending more that $300 to my wife at this stage of my diving experience. I hear that the Versa Pro is a lot more liberal with dive times. This worries me as well. I don’t want to be a diver that pushes the envelope. So now that I’ve been searching various brands and models I’m even more confused about what to purchase. The only thing I know for sure is that I want a computer that is a wrist mount, which I can dive both air and nitrox and that will cost me no more than $300. This seems like a daunting task for me because I have no real experience to base my decisions on. You all seem very knowledgeable so I ask for your help. If you have any feedback on what I have said I really would appreciate your input. Also if you know of any computer that would fit the bill please let me know. Thanks again for you help.

Danny

First welcome to SB.

As for the Suunto's they are great computers, pricey, but good. They do cut you short a little on dive time compared to other more liberal computers (like the Genesis, Sherwood, Aeris, Oceanic computers are all run off the same algorithm/calculation and are termed Paleagic due to the company that makes them for all these companies). You dont have to have a 1-hour SI or make a safety stop for the computer to run, but not only would i recommend a stop (or two for a deeper one - half max depth), but the computer will penalise you a bit for not doing those things, same with a fast ascent rate. I bought one as i wanted to be quite conservative, some people dont. I would recommend them, the only issue is going deeper on air with them vs putting up some cash to get a nitrox fill, they are quite conservative.

As for your equipment, just some advice here, get a wetsuit, then BC, then regs before a computer - a watch and table will do just fine for now - the rest of the stuff is better to get a good fit and something that functions than renting. I would suggest this over a computer as a first purchase.

I would also probably suggest wetsuit, BC, reg before the computer, though the order might depend on how you like what you're renting.

I like the Suunto's, and it's true you don't have to have 1 hour SIs or safety stops for it to work, though you may get penalized. But 1hr SIs were probably recommended in your Nitrox training and safety stops are something you normally _should_ be committing yourself to doing, whatever computer you wind up with. It's good practice, is there a specific reason you wouldn't want to?

There is no specific reason that I can think why I wouldn't, however I was under the impression that you HAD to do the 1 hour SI's and saftey stops or the computer would lock you out for 24hrs. I'm sure that I just misunderstood what I was told. I was taught not only in my nitrox class but my OW class as well about both of these. I just didn't want a computer that would lock me out if for some reason I didn't follow the rules. As for the wetsuit, BC and regs I think that's good advice to purchase them first. I think I will do that. :) Thanks for your input.

Danny

Have to secong (and third) what others have said. Buy all of your main gear at first. Especially in the early stages. Invest in a good westsuit, regs, and BCD (or better yet, BP/W), then a computer.

As far as computers go, buy the best you can afford but always use tables as a 'check and balance'.

I dive 2 computers but my favorite is the Oceanic Versa Pro. It is a very liberal computer. However, I use it with tables and have never had a problem (I dive deep and sometimes push the NDL limits). My typical SI is 30 min when diving EAN.

DannyCap:
There is no specific reason that I can think why I wouldn't, however I was under the impression that you HAD to do the 1 hour SI's and saftey stops or the computer would lock you out for 24hrs. I'm sure that I just misunderstood what I was told. I was taught not only in my nitrox class but my OW class as well about both of these. I just didn't want a computer that would lock me out if for some reason I didn't follow the rules. As for the wetsuit, BC and regs I think that's good advice to purchase them first. I think I will do that. :) Thanks for your input.
Just one question, does this store who offered you this advice sell the Suunto or the Aeris or whatever it was or both?

DannyCap:

Danny
Some computers will "lock" you out in certain situations, I don't think it's just Suunto. But this is generally in situations you shouldn't be getting yourself into anyway.

I just looked in the Gekko manual - it says no time penalty if you miss a "suggested" safety stop (your garden variety 3min at 15 variety), penalty if you miss a "mandatory" safety stop. Lockout only occurs if you get yourself into a deco required situtation and blow the stops the computer requires. You can download the Suunto manuals from suunto.com and read the details.

simbrooks:
Just one question, does this store who offered you this advice sell the Suunto or the Aeris or whatever it was or both?
No they don't sell Suunto at my LDS, but I think I'm going to take everyones advice and wait on the computer. It just makes more since to buy that stuff instead of renting gear all summer. I already got a Tilos 3/2 wetsuit in mind. Any idea's on a BC? :)) I'm thinking back floatation with intergrated weights.

Danny

I like my oceanics. While they are more liberal, it's up to you to use that liberalism or not. If you "stay in the green", you shouldn't have problems.

It's not like the computer won't let you know what's happening as you go along. There are bar graphs. Just don't push the bar graph limits and you are more conservative. With the atom, you can also add a conservative factor which essentially makes the computer act like you are 3000 ft higher in altitude than you are.

I am sure that you will not be disappointed with whichever you get (suunto or oceanic or others).

I did purchase my computer before my BC, but had everything else necessary before that. I now have my BC and all of my equipment (including two computers). Well, we never actually have it all as there is always something to buy.

DannyCap:
No they don't sell Suunto at my LDS, but I think I'm going to take everyones advice and wait on the computer.
Interesting that, do they sell the Oceanic/Aeris computer? I wonder why they might be telling you that the one they dont sell is a demon device??? :wink: I am trying not to be cynical, but its common to bad mouth a chevy if you drive/sell ford.
DannyCap:
It just makes more since to buy that stuff instead of renting gear all summer. I already got a Tilos 3/2 wetsuit in mind. Any idea's on a BC? :)) I'm thinking back floatation with intergrated weights.
Good choice to get that stuff first. As for BC's there is a whole forum devoted to them, i use a BP/wings, but there are other back inflates out there, Zeagle makes a good set (almost all of theirs are back inflate) as do Oceanic (Chute3), and a few others, the ScubaPro Knighthawk is kind of pricey. Plenty of options out there, just look around in that forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom