Diving Cold Water - Hood/Suit Combo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJcop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be making my first "cold" water dives in a few weeks (Pearl Lake, IL and Lake Michigan, Milwaukee WI). Temps are expected to be in the 50's-60's...give or take depending on our summer here. :D

Anyways, I'm planning on purchasing a Bare 7mm Arctic and a vest. My questions are:

Should I go with a 7mm vest? Would this be overkill? Is 14mm total on uper extemities too much?

Also, since I don't want to look like a toal newbie...do the vests go over or under? The ones I'm looking at are "step in" styles (one leg has the zipper, the other doesn't). Thanks for the help!

I dive with the exact same set up and love it. I used it in 44 degree waters (2 50 minute dives) with no problems. I'd say get the 2 pieces and you always have the option of the extra protection when you need it. The vest on mine's has the hood on it so I'm thinking of getting a spare hood for the days I don't need the vest. Mobility is not an issue since t is only your core that is doubled up. Dove with it last week end in 55 degree water and it was a little warm.

The suitability of a 7mm will depend entirely on the user. For me personally, I use a 7mm one-piece suit (Bare arctic) and a hood with 5mm boots. I am fine down to the 40's with it. Others would never consider diving 60 degree water without a drysuit.

I don't think the vest is needed, but again, that's up to you. If you do use it, it should go under the wetsuit.
Just remember... The more Neoprene you wear, the more funky your bouyancy will get until you get used to it. My first dive in a 7mm felt like learning bouyancy all over again.

FD

Yeah, I know that alot of "which wetsuit will I be warm in?" questions end up with the "it depends when you get cold" answers...and I completely understand that. I'm just trying to get an idea of what others are doing, and if I'm out of line with what I was looking at.

TJcop:
Yeah, I know that alot of "which wetsuit will I be warm in?" questions end up with the "it depends when you get cold" answers...and I completely understand that. I'm just trying to get an idea of what others are doing, and if I'm out of line with what I was looking at.

My wife and I (diving in Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence) are using Bare Artic 7mm full suits AND 7mm hooded vests for the colder times. We were diving last weekend in 62 degree water and had absolutley no problems and she's one of those who is coinstantly cold.

If you opt for the full suit and hooded vest set up, when the water warms up, just leave the vest behind.

7mm hooded Artic vest goes over the full suit, not under.

Here in SoCal the water has been in between 50-56 for the majority of my dives, and I have been fine in my Henderson InstaDry 7mm fullsuit+hood. No vest needed, although I was definitely cold on some multi-dive days in 50 degree water and 45 degree surface temps! Recently the water has been consistently above 53, and air temps have been at least in the 60s, and I have been 100% fine.

Well one thing for sure, you don't want to wear what your avatar pic has on!!!!

In So Cal, 50-55 degrees, I recently adopted a hooded vest and 7/5 mm wetsuit. As I solo dive a lot, I did not feel comfortable using my dry suit and hoping someone was there to zip and unzip the back. I am thin so probably more likely to get cold quicker, and this seems to work for me...2 dives, minimal discomfort...no bulky drysuit.

CompuDude: You forgot to mention the 6 foot vis!

Jon C:
Well one thing for sure, you don't want to wear what your avatar pic has on!!!!

In So Cal, 50-55 degrees, I recently adopted a hooded vest and 7/5 mm wetsuit. As I solo dive a lot, I did not feel comfortable using my dry suit and hoping someone was there to zip and unzip the back. I am thin so probably more likely to get cold quicker, and this seems to work for me...2 dives, minimal discomfort...no bulky drysuit.

CompuDude: You forgot to mention the 6 foot vis!
My wetsuit doesn't seem to care how good or bad the vis is. :wink:

I've considered adding a vest to my 7mm fullsuit, but considering we're well into summer, I will put off the decision until it gets cold again. Plus I don't want to have to mess with my weights now that everything is nice and dialed in. :)

I dive the Arctic with the 7mm hooded step-in down into the upper 40s. After that I go dry even though I could stay wet a bit colder and be OK for a single dive.

When it gets warmer, like upper 50s I switch vests to the 3mm hooded chicken vest worn under the Arctic.

Pete

CompuDude:
My wetsuit doesn't seem to care how good or bad the vis is. :wink:

I've considered adding a vest to my 7mm fullsuit, but considering we're well into summer, I will put off the decision until it gets cold again. Plus I don't want to have to mess with my weights now that everything is nice and dialed in. :)

True, but with all those urchines around our turf, another layer might prevent getting out the vineger or the "liquid on hand":wink:

I dove with "Hollywood Divers" on the Great Escape to San Clemente on January 29th. Is that your LDS? Did you go on that trip?

Back
Top Bottom