PADI EAN course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
happy season's greetings to all...

can I get some info about the contents and structure of PADI's Nitrox course??
it came to my knowledge that there is no dives included in that course.. is it true?
thanx.

Dives are now optional (they used to be mandatory).

It allows you to use nitrox mixes up to 40%. Comes with RDP tables for 32 and 36% and an equivalent air depth table for other depths.

Its a standard nitrox course with bits on dive planning, the theory and physics (in particular partial pressures). 2 mandatory practicals are dive planning and analysing a mix and labelling those tanks.

Given there is no difference in diving practice or procedure compared to air and it introduces no new in-water skills at all the removal of the dive requirement was a very sensible move putting them in line with other agencies.

That's correct, no dives, we are about to take the course.

Diving nitrox does not require any in water skills other than following your dive plan.

The class should cover:
Benefits and risks of nitrox
Planning dives to maximize the benefits and avoid the risks
You will have special tables and need to understand how to run your dive computer (if you have one) for a nitrox dive.
You should do a lab where you run an analyzer and measure the oxygen content of your gas. In some cases you may just witness the shop atendent checking your mix but it's important that you fully understand what is going on.

Our analyzer is on it's way to us right now and we will be using it in class.

Here is some background reading....
http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/RSTCEANxMinimumStandardsFinalApril06.pdf

Pete

SSI's Nitrox course lists dives as optional, as well.

This is one course that makes more sense to spend the time in class learning the theory. As has been mentioned, there is no practical difference between a Nitrox dive and an Air dive provided you stick with your appropriate plan..

Jeff

As is TDI, BSAC, PSA and others i can think of.

A good instructor will require the dives. You should learn how to rescue a toxing diver (discussed in the course). You should go over a lot of dive planning as well. Planning real dives that you will do, not simulated dives. With the agencies dumbing down their Nitrox courses, there is still a lot of stuff you need to know in the water.

I think it's important to note that the only real difference in nitrox diving is the planning, additional risks and equipment requirements, no different techniques per say are used.

ppo2_diver:
A good instructor will require the dives. You should learn how to rescue a toxing diver (discussed in the course)...

This is covered in the Rescue course.

Even if the optional dives are performed there is nothing in their requirements for O2 tox rescue and they arent performance requirements so cant be done/made.

Basic nitrox needs no dives. Its simple theory and identical water skills. Id venture any instructor forcing the dives is just after more money. The difference better spent on fun diving.

maged_mmh:
happy season's greetings to all...

can I get some info about the contents and structure of PADI's Nitrox course??
it came to my knowledge that there is no dives included in that course.. is it true?
thanx.

As-sallamu aleykum

Other then the math of the dive planning, there are no differences on the divers side then with regular air. (Other than O-ring on the tank valve)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom