Milestone Dives – What did you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Did you plan or are you planning a special dive for those big milestone dives like #50 or 100 or 150 or 300?

For me # 50 was to be a cool dive, I was planning on doing a submarine off of South Carolina, everything was set, so I thought. I showed up in the morning and found the boat but no one was there. There was another group loading up their boat and after watching them for 20 minutes I asked if they had room for one more. “Sure” was the reply, “just grab you equipment and tanks and come over.” Damn I thought, I don’t have tanks. The night before at the dive shop they asked if I wanted to take the tanks with me or if prefer they would just bring them out in the morning. I opted for the “you deliver my tanks in the morning” scenario. “Thanks for the offer guys, but I don’t have any tanks with me” I sadly admitted. Another missed opportunity.

It turns out the dive shop just cancelled the trip. They said they tried me at the hotel the evening before with no luck. Duh, they could have left a message!

Dive 100 was similar. I was hoping for a cool dive off of Nova Scotia but ended up doing a 15’ dive in 5 feet of vis. My dive buddy was a nice little old lady who was still diving at the age of 78. She asked me if there was going to be any problems if we separate during the dive. So we planned our action if we happened to separate, search for 4 minutes then surface. About 6 minutes into the dive I managed to swim into the largest tangle of fishing line, net, cable and plastic can holders ever assembled on the east coast of the Atlantic Ocean. I watched as the green glow of my partners’ fins disappeared not to be seen for another 45 minutes. I spent the next 5 minutes cutting and trying to unloop the mess from myself. Once I was free, I surfaced to look for my buddy, but after 5 minutes on the surface no sign. I decided to go back down and look around, after about 10 min of searching a grid with no view of my now ex buddy, I came across the jumble of netting and various other snags. I thought I would perform a community service and haul out the monster. Carefully I began my tow back to shore. After getting the pile of crap up on the beach I took a seat on a rock and waited for my ex buddy to emerge. Once she came up and gave me the Okay sign, I took off my fins, mask and BCD so I could go to the water to help her out, at 78 she wasn’t able to stand up after a dive with the weight of all the equipment. That was my welcome to Nova Scotia dive!

Dive 150 was perfect, I didn’t know it was upcoming so I didn’t know to plan anything. It was a spectacular dive in Cenote Dos Oyos near Akumal Mexico. Enough said, it was awesome.

Number 200 is coming up, I am not planning anything, Though it is quite the milestone….

For my friend's hundreth dive, we brought a bottle of champagne to depth with us (Cayman Brac) and popped the cork and drank it underwater. It takes a little finesse, but if you hold the bottle upside down, and hold your thumb over the top, and blow a little air into it when you drink, it's possible. It was a little briny, but hey, it was a special occasion.

Now, whenever I drink champagne, I can't help but think
"Hm. Not bad, but it could use a little salt".

For my hundreth, I was with a bunch of new divers and my friends who were teaching them their varied courses, so I didn't want to make a bad impression by drinking and diving. So I celebrated my hundreth dive afterward. :D

the best I did was think to myself "hmmm...50/100 dives, that's a lot" that's about all, I'm saving myself for 1,000

SueMermaid once bubbled...
For my friend's hundreth dive, we brought a bottle of champagne to depth with us (Cayman Brac) and popped the cork and drank it underwater.
Snip

Now that is something I want to try! :party:
Thanks for the suggestion.

some of them were pretty cool.

250 was a relaxing drift dive down the Palancar Reef in Coz. It was my only day diving there since I was staying on the mainland and had to ditch my non-diving travel buddys to get in a wet day.

500 was a night dive with an octopus crawling up my arm and a little group of reef squid flitting over the edge of the wall like a squadron of dive bombers.

1,000 was just one of many working dives.

Most are not anything to remember, but I did plan for a few. 100 I'd planned for my favorite wreck, skipping dives to make the numbers work. One of the divers dropped his fin on the morning trip, so my 100th was to recover it.

700 wasn't planned, I'd given up trying to plan them after many plans went down the drain. I remember it very clearly, a night dive on the Sugar Wreck near West End, Grand Bahama with my brother, Dennis and his wife Donna.

1000 was planned for me. I planned to meet up with friends and dive the Eagle. The weather had other plans. We met up the following weekend and dived the Eagle. While at depth, Ana presented me with a bag of goodies. It contained several joke gifts, but two things inside were very thoughtful. A small decorative bottle which she filled with water while on the dive and an engraved hip flask filled with brandy. The original date was slashed out and the new date engraved beside it. I keep both on my coffee table. I take the flask on special dive trips to toast events - various milestones of my dive buddies.

Walter once bubbled...

[snip]

1000 was planned for me. I planned to meet up with friends and dive the Eagle. The weather had other plans. We met up the following weekend and dived the Eagle. While at depth, Ana presented me with a bag of goodies. It contained several joke gifts, but two things inside were very thoughtful. A small decorative bottle which she filled with water while on the dive and an engraved hip flask filled with brandy. The original date was slashed out and the new date engraved beside it. I keep both on my coffee table. I take the flask on special dive trips to toast events - various milestones of my dive buddies.

Walter,
Now that sounds pretty neat... those are definitely some special friends!

wb

Some of my milestones were non-routine, but not all.

25 - First saltwater dive trip in Grand Cayman

50 - My first dive at Gilboa aka "Mount Everest of Quarry Diving" :D

100 - One of the wreck dives on a NC dive trip out of Morehead City (either the Indra or the Aoelus) with some neat folks I'd met on another forum

200 - Almost the last dive of an awesome 12 day, 38 dive trip to Grand Cayman

300 - Practicing skills at Whitestar aka "The Swimming Pool of Quarry Dives"

400 - A couple of weekends ago sitting in on a GUE class and doing minor logistical help

though I didn't plan it that way. On my 100th dive my 12 year old son was my buddy in his first post OW dive. Wonderful to share my favorite activity with him! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom