Those health forms -- Truth or Consequences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BioLogic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Every time I try to take a class or dive with a new company, they've asked me to do a health form. Some places they've been as blatant as "If you answer yes to anything on this form, you can't dive with us until you see a physician. Letters from your regular doc mean nothing to us."

I've recently acquired a health history that's way too interesting. I've got no interest in hurting myself, so I've talked over my treatments with every doctor who treats me ... oddly (in Missouri) almost every one of them has been a diver as well and has understood my concerns fully. As a result, I'm confident that nothing in my medical past puts me at increased risk as a diver.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure an honestly answered form would make people flip out, due to the overly general nature of the questions. I don't want to deal with that, and I don't think it's the business of the dive shops to play my nanny either.

My current inclination is to just lie on the form and sign off on the 'if I didn't disclose something, on my own head be it' statement at the end. I figure that protects the business from liability (not that I or my people are the suing type) and it's none of their business anyway.

How do you all handle this?

I edit to clarify: The docs are happy to sign off the forms. It's the logistical issues of carrying the things around with me and the knowledge that some places still won't let you dive that bug me. And the fact that they're pressuring me to answer questions that are flatly none of their business.

Last edited:
I answer yes truthfully, and get my doctor to sign the form. Mine does.
That's always been accepted without further question.

If he wouldn't, I'd have to come to an honest conclusion as to whether he was wrong and I should seek a signature elsewhere, or he's right and it's time to stop diving.
Some day, it may be time to stop diving.

We can all agree on this: Medical form = CYA (from a business perspective).

I'd recommend that you still answer the questions honestly...convenience be damned. If you knowingly lied on one of those forms, it could release the dive op from any liability at all...even if they made an egregious error that directly led to an accident. Honesty is the best policy.

To make it more convenient for you to obtain medical clearance, I would just raise the issue with your primary care physician during your annual medical exam and get him to fill out the appropriate release form. For PADI classes, I believe that the medical clearance is good for one year from the date of the exam. (But check this out on your own, since I'm not sure about it.) Photocopy the form and keep it on file for your own records.

If a dive op requires that a physician use a unique medical exam form and that the physician cannot be "your regular doc," then that's the price we all pay for living in an overly litigious society. Fax the form to your primary care physician and have him fax back the completed version.

I get my doc to sign off on the PADI medical form every year and keep it tucked in with my C-cards. This is for my peace of mind and in case a dive op requires it due to my age (59). Then I answer "no" to all the medical questions.:D

I get my doc to sign off on the PADI medical form every year and keep it tucked in with my C-cards. This is for my peace of mind and in case a dive op requires it due to my age (59). Then I answer "no" to all the medical questions.:D
Perhaps a better way to deal with the situation is just to plan ahead. Call the dive op ahead of time to inquire whether they require a medical release waiver. Ask them if they'll accept your PADI medical release form. If not, then arrange for your doc to sign off on whatever form the dive op specifies. Most dive ops that I've used post their medical clearance forms on their website. Simple, honest solution. You can dive with a clear conscience. :D

We're dealing with this currently, in preparation for our dive trip. Basically, as a CYA, the LDS requires a current medical release form from everyone going on the trip, and since my wife has to answer "yes" to one of the questions because of her hip replacement, we need to get the form to her orthopaedist for him to sign.

We still have nearly 4 weeks to do this, and seriously, we do think it's better to be honest and just deal with it, rather than try to sidestep it or hide anything.

Yes, it is a CYA issue.

As I understand PADI America rules, a medical form is required for each new class. The physician form is valid for 1 year.

One of our instructors got dinged for thinking the medical form was valid for a year.

I've also been told that IF someone initially marks a "Yes" and then changes it to "No" the "official" stance is to ignore the change and require a physician form.

Luckily for me I just have my wife sign off -- but she has to get one of her doc friends to sign off for her.

I'm 70 years old, started diving about four and a half years ago and have over 200 dives. I have filled out quite a few forms at dive shops. When I first started diving I was a little concerned about this same issue since I beat around quite a bit as I was growing up and look it. (See my avatar.) I have the same things going for me that about anyone my age might have like cholesterol, blood pressure, prostate, heart thingies, hearing ain't that good, mild catatacts, arthritis, etc. My original doctor was 78 at the time, retired now, gave me a go-ahead since he didn't know the issues and didn't seem to give a damn. I had around 75 successful dives when he retired. The young (45 year old) guy who took his place is a diver. This dude put me through a battery of tests, including a stress test, to see if I could pass muster, which I did. He changed a couple of my meds since they were out of date. I take four medications every day which bring my bodily operations into par with what one would expect for a person my age. I consider this to give me the right to mark NO in all the spaces on the form. Actually, I'd mark NO anyway. If I'm going to fly 900 miles, drive a car 100 miles, rent a motel and all that sh** just to dive a couple days you can be assured that I'm not going to do anything to screw it up.

and since my wife has to answer "yes" to one of the questions because of her hip replacement, we need to get the form to her orthopaedist for him to sign.

Why does she have to say "yes" to anything because of her hip replacement? I have had a full knee replacement and I don't mark anything on the form with a "yes" because of that.

Are you referring to this?

Back, arm, or leg problems following surgery, injury or fracture

If so, this is a common misunderstanding. The question asks if you have problems following surgery, not if you have had surgery. If she has had a normal recovery from hip replacement surgery, then the correct response is "no."

I'd answer honestly for a more major health issue, but i lie whenever it asks silly minor things, like if I get motion sick or have back problems. :shrug: I puke if I'm sitting in surge too long, and I have to go to a chiro cuz I sit in front of a computer for most of my waking hours. Nothing serious enough to declare on a form, even if it is listed. Saves me the money & inconvenience of having to go to my doc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom