Back Plate / Wing set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ski1313

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a pretty new diver, only 10 dives so far but I plan on doing A LOT of diving in the coming years. This summer I plan on getting AOW and Rescue certifications, then in the Fall I'll be doing research diving for a university biology department. All and all I'm expecting to do a lot of diving, both for enjoyment and for research.

I also need to provide my own gear, I don't have much yet. I was told that with the amount of diving and the "technical aspects" of the diving incresing greatly that I would be better off going with a more expensive back plate / wing instead of a jacket style BC. How much 'better' is the back plate set up, is it worth it to go with the higher price for the long run? And does it make it harder to stay upright while at the surface?

BP/W don't have to be expensive google it
Deep Sea Suppy
DiveRite
leisurePro

your LDS

I would suggest a good talk with someone or some intense reading

For me, the BP/W is a better set-up with more options. It is not more expensive - look at web sites for Golem Gear, DSS (Deep Sea Supply), Dive Rite, etc. The BP/W is a "system" that will grow with you.

I'm a pretty new diver, only 10 dives so far but I plan on doing A LOT of diving in the coming years. This summer I plan on getting AOW and Rescue certifications, then in the Fall I'll be doing research diving for a university biology department. All and all I'm expecting to do a lot of diving, both for enjoyment and for research.
Welcome to the sport. I am glad to hear that you are continuing your training. I did not feel like a "real" diver until after my rescue. Good calls.

I also need to provide my own gear, I don't have much yet. I was told that with the amount of diving and the "technical aspects" of the diving incresing greatly that I would be better off going with a more expensive back plate / wing instead of a jacket style BC. How much 'better' is the back plate set up, is it worth it to go with the higher price for the long run? And does it make it harder to stay upright while at the surface?

You can get a Backplate and wing for just about the cost of a Jacket style BC if you look hard enough. Cave Adventures has this great BP/W Package deal.

As far as staying afloat on the surface, I do not see a difference between the styles. I use my BP/W underwater more for trim than on the surface.

My experience has been that the BP/W setup is less expensive than a jacket style BCD, but obvioiusly there is a range for both. My favorite is the Oxycheq Mach V wing - just bought one for my wife. :)

Tell more about what kind of diving you're planning on.

You will find a BP/w is very versatile. The components are modular, so if a part wears out you are not replacing the whole thing. If you ever progress to double tanks, you only have to swap out the wing.
All the stories you hear about how hard a bp/w makes it to float on the surface is a lot of crap from divers who have only used jacket bc's.

You can find BP/w setup for $250 (HOG wing + AL BP + harness). Hard to find BCD for that money.

Very versatile and grows with you.

Back
Top Bottom