Back Plate / Wing set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have now dived Jacket style BCs in warm water and BP and Wing setups in cold water diving and I would say my BP and Wing is a lot more adaptable to different diving conditions and infinitely more expandable. I love my Apex WTX wing set up with simple harness and stainless steel back plate.

Never had an issue with a face plant on the surface.

Okay, I just got off the phone with the professor in charge of the diving. He told me to expect to be doing cold water, double tank, de-comp dives when I get more experience. With this in mind, I'm thinking about spending extra money upfront to get a double tank ready set, that, of course, means a more expensive wing. I was actually recommended to get something called the Complete Dive Rite System.
- harness 159
- back plate 129
- REC EXP wing 358
- Cam straps, SS, Pair 60
- Crotch strap 22
- 16 lbs weight pockets 95
- single tank adapter 59

What do you think, high price worth it, if it can take whatever I throw at it? I build some good ones online but I think that I would end up spending the money anyways downthe road.

Okay, I just got off the phone with the professor in charge of the diving. He told me to expect to be doing cold water, double tank, de-comp dives when I get more experience. With this in mind, I'm thinking about spending extra money upfront to get a double tank ready set, that, of course, means a more expensive wing. I was actually recommended to get something called the Complete Dive Rite System.
- harness 159
- back plate 129
- REC EXP wing 358
- Crotch strap 22
- single tank adapter 59

What do you think, high price worth it, if it can take whatever I throw at it? I build some good ones online but I think that I would end up spending the money anyways downthe road.

That seems like good gear but pricey at close to $900, before shipping or tax. IMHO you should try calling around - you can get good gear for a lot less.

Do you know whether you will be diving steel or aluminum tanks?
This factor will make a difference in your weighting considerations.

- harness 159
- back plate 129
- REC EXP wing 358
- Crotch strap 22
- single tank adapter 59

I'm a new diver like you and others here can give more informed advice no doubt, but I did 5 dives with the Dive Rite Rec wing in a single tank setup and I wasn't too happy with it. It felt like it would be better off on a doubles setup, which you mention getting later on. In the near term I'd go with a smaller wing. When I was shopping around for my setup I was advised by several people to not expect one wing to be good for both single tank and double setups.

In the end I went with a package from Deep Sea Supply that was IIRC $465 for a SS BP, 26# wing, harness, cam straps, and crotch strap. No STA needed on this setup as it's built into the wing. If I ever decide to dive doubles, I can just get a wing for that later on on.

Cheers,

Tim

- harness 159
- back plate 129
- REC EXP wing 358
- Crotch strap 22
- single tank adapter 59

You are very new to this and I also don't understand what or who this "professor" is? Are you taking a college course for diving or a school for commercial divers or is this a "scientific" diver course or exactly what?

You cannot use a doubles wing with a single tank, it just does not work in the end.

Oxy Check makes the toughest and most durable wings including armored versions, thickest bags, toughest materials that you can attempt to cut with a razor knife and they just laugh it off. I would say if you want something that can take punishment Oxy Extreme series is the best.

Halycon is overpriced and can carry the extra price because it has "brand image" recognition that causes some certain divers to go weak in the knees and drool in a Pavlovian response.

Slow down, take a deep breath, buy once. Or, do like most everybody, impulse buy a bunch of stuff that in the end will not be what you want but we all have piles of equipment that are "extra" and you will learn that there is no such thing as one set of gear.

A singles rig wing used with the typical aluminum rental tank will attempt to face plant you on the surface, a jacket BC tends to float you higher and more upright.

N

Okay, I just got off the phone with the professor in charge of the diving. He told me to expect to be doing cold water, double tank, de-comp dives when I get more experience.
That is useful information. And, one of the key messages is 'when I get more exprience'.
With this in mind, I'm thinking about spending extra money upfront to get a double tank ready set, that, of course, means a more expensive wing.
I would not do that. Extra money up front to get good equipment - YES. Extra money now to accomodate doubles later - NO.
I was actually recommended to get something called the Complete Dive Rite System.
- harness 159
- back plate 129
- REC EXP wing 358
- Crotch strap 22
- single tank adapter 59
Whoa! I don't think I would jump in for the 'Complete' set up quite yet. And, I don't know where the 'package' is coming from - online vendor, LDS, etc. But, my concern has nothing to do with the brand - Dive Rite - which is a good brand. Rather, the system may not be what you want, now, or even later. If you can provide a few details (in your profile, such a location), it may help SBers help you in turn. There are elements of this package that seem a little high in price. I presume the BP is SS. Good. You can dive it single tank, warm water, or double tank, cold water. The price is reasonable, although you could get one right now from Dive Gear Express for $89, as they are on sale. I don't know what kind of harness you are looking at but $159 is A LOT. You can put together a simple one-piece web harness, with necessary D rings and buckle, for much, much less. Even if you bought a simple harness package, it would be much less. I would definitely get cam bands with SS buckles, and that selection is reasonable. Definitely get a crotch strap and $22 is OK (although, again, you can piece one together inexpensively). You can certainly get weight pockets, although $95 is quite a bit of money. Or, you can dive a simple weight belt and hard weights, again for a lot less money. While I own and dive two DR REC wings, I don't necessarily recommend them as ideal. I suspect you are looking for a wing that would accomodate BOTH single tank and double tank diving. DON'T! You are a relatively new diver. You will be working on single tank diving for a while, and I would suggest a simple, true, single tank wing (18-30lbs of lift) instead of a REC. When you are ready to move to doubles, get a good, true, double tank wing (50-60 lbs of lift).

A singles rig wing used with the typical aluminum rental tank will attempt to face plant you on the surface

N

That hasn't been my experience. I didn't notice any trouble floating upright or back swimming on the surface with an Al80.

I'm taking a class to certify me as an AAUS scientific diver. Once I complete that class i'll be working (for free haha) for the research department, not as a class, but data gathering for whatever the current project is. No matter what, ill be diving doubles in the future, so ill need a good wing down the road. And what's the big issue diving a single tank with a bigger lift wing?

Nemrod:
A singles rig wing used with the typical aluminum rental tank will attempt to face plant you on the surface, a jacket BC tends to float you higher and more upright.
That hasn't been my experience. I didn't notice any trouble floating upright or back swimming on the surface with an Al80.
Part of the perception of orientation may depend on the type of weighting used, and whether the BP is AL or SS, and the tank material. Diving a AL BP, AND an AL80, with weight pockets oriented to the front of the harness belt, AND being overweighted can definitely create a sensation of being pushed face-first into the water for some divers. In fact, when you look at SB posters who make that complaint about back-inflate units in general, you not infrequently find that they are using a back inflate BCD - not a BP - and it is a weight-integrated unit which, in many cases, puts all the weight in pockets oriented toward the diver's front. So, on the surface, there is downward force on the diver's front side and upward force, from the wing, on the diver's back side. And, the more air added to the wing to counteract it, the worse the condition becomes. Personally, I prefer a HP steel tank, and a SS bp, and a weight belt for single tank BP/W diving. In that configuration, and when properly weighted, I never feel any senstion of being pushed into a face-down position. Even with an AL80 instead of a steel tank, I don't have the sensation.

Last edited:
I'm taking a class to certify me as an AAUS scientific diver.
Good for you! Great training. And, you will certainly be diving single tank for quite a while if that is the path you pursue. There are several SBers, such as Thalassamania, who have intimate familiarity with the AAUS Scientific Diver program, and can offer informed advice.
ill be diving doubles in the future, so ill need a good wing down the road.
Yes, and I would suggest you need a good wing now. The concern is what is the best fit for the environment you are in. If you are driving to work / school everyday in a congested urban environment, what would you prefer to use as a personal vehicle - a 'good' but small, fuel efficient, compact vehicle, or a 'deuce and a half', a 2.5 ton, multi-wheeled truck? Both will get you where you want to go. One will be infinitely easier to use in the congested urban environment.
And what's the big issue diving a single tank with a bigger lift wing?
LOTS of threads on that on SB. The Executive Summary - 'taco effect' making it difficult to purge air from the wing without a complete and abrupt shift of orientation u/w, and increased drag / decreased streamlining from the wing folding around the tank behind you. But, do a search - in fact search using 'taco effect' - and you will be exposed to hours of reading enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom