Back Plate / Wing set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my HOG wing. I have a halcyon weighted single tank adapter (bought used) and it's fantastic, but I would just as soon use the integrated STA and a pair of generic straps (if I had to pay retail). H (halcyon) stuff is great, but double or triple the price when compared to a bare-bones setup or one that comes from a smaller company.

My 15 yo son and I have only been diving for 18 months and can tell you the BP/W is absolutely great. No issues whatsoever with being on the surface even in very high surf. I hated having so much weight around my hips and now only need a few pounds. The BP/W made a huge improvement in my trim.

Welcome to the sport. I am glad to hear that you are continuing your training.

As far as staying afloat on the surface, I do not see a difference between the styles. I use my BP/W underwater more for trim than on the surface.

This is what I'm talkin about.

Thanks for the responses everybody! I'm going to look online and at the local dive shop later today to see what I can find. I'll post a set up later to see what everyone thinks.

I'm a pretty new diver, only 10 dives so far but I plan on doing A LOT of diving in the coming years. This summer I plan on getting AOW and Rescue certifications, then in the Fall I'll be doing research diving for a university biology department. All and all I'm expecting to do a lot of diving, both for enjoyment and for research.

I also need to provide my own gear, I don't have much yet. I was told that with the amount of diving and the "technical aspects" of the diving incresing greatly that I would be better off going with a more expensive back plate / wing instead of a jacket style BC. How much 'better' is the back plate set up, is it worth it to go with the higher price for the long run? And does it make it harder to stay upright while at the surface?

Do your research. I was able to piece together a solid bp/w set up for less than $350. It may not be as fancy as some of the package deals available but it suits me well and I know how every part is supposed to work in conjunction with the rest of the rig.

Another factor you should really keep in mind is where you aim to do your diving. There are many different things to take into consideration based on where you will spend most of your time diving.

+1 to what carrielsal said. Reports of having one's face pushed forwards in the water tends to be from people who have just transitioned from jacket style BCs. With the jacket style BCs, there is a tendency to inflate more than necessary when at the surface. Doing so with a bp/w will push you forwards. This can be counteracted by not over-inflating the wing at the surface. Just inflate it enough to keep you head above the water and it should not push you forwards at all.

If you get a chance, see if someone you know who dives a bp/w will lend it to you for a dive or two so you can make an informed decision about whether you'd like to get one yourself.

You can also check out a Halcyon Eclipse System. A little more expensive but feature (Weighted STA, Storage Pak, Great Wings, Made in USA) rich.

halcyon_logo2001sm.gif

As Oscar Wilde once said, "I have very simple tastes; I am always satisfied with the best."

:cool2:

SS-image-2009-03-09-49b4d31141af3.jpg

You can read my "mini-review" of my Halcyon rigs at the bottom of this page:
Halcyon BC Systems at www.DiveSeekers.com

Anyone looking for Halcyon (or pretty much anything else) should give Wayne (or his brother Jason) at www.DiveSeekers.com a call at 888-728-2247 - they'll treat you right!

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom