Back Plate / Wing set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter what, ill be diving doubles in the future, so ill need a good wing down the road. And what's the big issue diving a single tank with a bigger lift wing?

Executive Summary - 'taco effect' making it difficult to purge air from the wing without a complete and abrupt shift of orientation u/w

That's exactly what annoyed me in this setup. I was unable to purge the wing in a horizontal position, and had to go ~30° upright to dump air. It was a PITA.

Congrats on taking the AAUS course, it sounds tremendous from what I've seen other posters here say about it.

That hasn't been my experience. I didn't notice any trouble floating upright or back swimming on the surface with an Al80.

Well, it has been mine and I have been diving wings likely longer than you have been alive and have owned numerous different types. A wing cannot float the specified equipment that I stated in my previous post as high in the water as a jacket without it attempting to shove you face down. Steel plates and steel tanks are not travel/transport friendly if that matters.

This may not apply to the OP as he is talking about, apparently, a technical situation as a "scientific" diver whatever that may be, who knows.

N

Well, it has been mine and I have been diving wings likely longer than you have been alive and have owned numerous different types. A wing cannot float the specified equipment that I stated in my previous post as high in the water as a jacket without it attempting to shove you face down.

pm sent rather than continue to hijack this thread.

Right now, I think my problem boils down to one main thing. I'm going to go with a back plate/ wing set up, for sure. The debate seems to now be over whether a wing good for doubles is too much/ no good for a single. The "Complete Dive Rite System" that some people said sounded a little skechy, I found it at my local dive shop too. The guy who owns the place, (I also know him personally, and trust him completly), says that that is the set up he dives and he swares by it, for both singles and doubles.

Is the problem with the bigger wing on a singles tank that is makes it hard to dump air, or is there something else?

As for the 'taco effect'.... "When diving single tanks, two clips on each side of the wing attach to D-rings on the backplate, keeping the wing close to the diver’s body. This avoids the “taco” effect of the wing wrapping around the tank, away from the diver, which diminishes buoyancy control." -Dive Rite site

Now since it is their product, they are going to say its the best. Does anyone have any experiance with this particular wing?

As for the 'taco effect'.... "When diving single tanks, two clips on each side of the wing attach to D-rings on the backplate, keeping the wing close to the diver’s body. This avoids the “taco” effect of the wing wrapping around the tank, away from the diver, which diminishes buoyancy control." -Dive Rite site

Now since it is their product, they are going to say its the best. Does anyone have any experiance with this particular wing?
I owned a rec wing. The best part about owning it was the fact that some other sucker bought it thinking it'd work for singles and doubles. It's a terrible wing, uncomfortable to dive, and a dishonest marketing ploy by the shops that push it.

But you don't seem to trust us. Trust the guy who's making money off of you buying it and let us know how it works out for ya :)

Go ahead and buy a high lift capacity doubles wing and use it for single tank diving. You will then realize it doesn't work very well and buy a single tank wing which will then work really nicely.

You can then put the doubles wing in the closet until you start to dive doubles. No need to expand in the future.

Seriously, the best way to know if a particular setup works well it to dive it. If you don't have the chance to dive it yourself, ask someone who has. That is where SB comes in. Do a little research, there are hundreds of posts on this board about that subject.

Also, give some thought to used gear. You can't wear out a backplate. On BP/W setups everything is modular and you can replace it yourself. If you go with a one peice harness you can replace the webbing for $15 and reuse the hardware. When I set up my rig, I got an Oxycheq singles wing for $130 shipped. It had 5 dives on it. I got a DSS plate and harness for $140ish shipped, then replaced the webbing for another $15. Cam bands bought from a SB member for $30 a pair NEW (Dive right stainless buckles). So by buying what I needed here in the classifieds (and also on the Deco Stop site) I saved more than half and the only parts of my rig that were really "used" at all were solid peices of stainless that you could not wear out in 5 lifetimes.

Or you can run out and buy all new stuff that might not work for you. Just let me know when you are ready to sell it, I still need a doubles wing. :)

Best of luck and dive safe.

Last edited:
Okay, I just got off the phone with the professor in charge of the diving. He told me to expect to be doing cold water, double tank, de-comp dives when I get more experience. With this in mind, I'm thinking about spending extra money upfront to get a double tank ready set, that, of course, means a more expensive wing. I was actually recommended to get something called the Complete Dive Rite System.
- harness 159
- back plate 129
- REC EXP wing 358
- Cam straps, SS, Pair 60
- Crotch strap 22
- 16 lbs weight pockets 95
- single tank adapter 59

What do you think, high price worth it, if it can take whatever I throw at it? I build some good ones online but I think that I would end up spending the money anyways downthe road.

I'm taking a class to certify me as an AAUS scientific diver. Once I complete that class i'll be working (for free haha) for the research department, not as a class, but data gathering for whatever the current project is. No matter what, ill be diving doubles in the future, so ill need a good wing down the road. And what's the big issue diving a single tank with a bigger lift wing?

apparently money is not an issue according to your first post ( highlighted in red)

AND you'll be diving doubles in the future

Soooooo.. Buy a single wing set up and when your READY buy a double wing.

easy enough for ya :wink:

The debate seems to now be over whether a wing good for doubles is too much/ no good for a single.

There is no debate on this subject.

Does anyone have any experiance with this particular wing?

Yes.

I sold mine and bought a Halcyon Evolve 60 for doubles and an appropriate wing for singles.

As is the case most of the time, any product that is designed to do TWO things... usually does neither of them very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom