is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peejymvl

Registered
Reaction score
I find that every time I drive over or near any body of water, large or small, I just have got to know what is under it....I live near a local river, about 50 yards wide, very calm on top, but who knows what the bottom is like. Everyday I stare into it, but know I will more than likely never know what is in there, first reason being I dont have a buddy, second reason, I dont know what is down there, current, fishing lines, ?? Is there a way to find out what kind of current is in there without actually diving into it and creating a potential problem??

Ask at your local dive shop(s). Chances are there is *someone* who's been in that water before you. They might be able to help you with the lack of buddy problem too.

peejymvl once bubbled...
I find that every time I drive over or near any body of water, large or small, I just have got to know what is under it....I live near a local river, about 50 yards wide, very calm on top, but who knows what the bottom is like. Everyday I stare into it, but know I will more than likely never know what is in there, first reason being I dont have a buddy, second reason, I dont know what is down there, current, fishing lines, ?? Is there a way to find out what kind of current is in there without actually diving into it and creating a potential problem??

Current is only one consideration. In fact, it's one of the simpler ones to work around.

What river are you looking at? I know a bunch of divers in this area who like to do wildcat dives. I'm one of them.

Perhaps a sensor system would be a better choice if there are major safety issues. There are some local capabilities there as well.

peejymvl once bubbled...
You get that don't you... I find my self wondering what is under the water ... I have spent my child hood on a house boat and never went deeper than 2-3 meters (with my eyes closed) but now I have discovered scuba, I'm hoping I can go back and take a few sets of tanks to find out whats down there...

In addition to talking to LDS and any experienced divers (which is highly reccommended first step) check out the river's guage

Guages like These are monitored by NOAA on nearly every major river in the US, where you can see current levels and currents.

CD

Back
Top Bottom