Earthquake During a Scuba Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On Wednesday night, January 12th, , I went on a night club dive at San Carlos Beach in Monterey, Ca. It was a beautiful clear night. Conditions were perfectly calm with 15 feet visibility. The mirror surface made the lights Santa Cruz across the bay sparkle in the star filled night. Conditions were perfectly calm with 15 feet visibility. We dove along the rocks on the Coast Guard pier where we descended to poke along looking at critters. Several 8-inch shrimp/prawns and small octopus were spotted.

While diving, we felt and heard a rumble. It came quickly and left suddenly. I thought it was a boat but there were no boats around. I did not think much of it.

On shore I talked to other divers and they thought it was an earthquake. I never experienced an earthquake while scuba diving so I had no idea. We talked about the sudden start of the rumbling and how suddenly it quit unlike a boat that gradually increases and decreases in sound. One diver said the sand sea floor kicked up sand at the time of the rumbling.

I thought it was a boat but others said it was too unusual. One diver had an iphone earthquake application and looked to see if there was an earthquake during our dive. There was an aftershock of about 3 in magnitude at about 7:30pm, which was during our dive. San Juan Bautista area had an earthquake earlier in the day of 4.5 at 12.51 am. This is about 20 miles from Monterey. There were aftershocks and one occurred at about 7:35 pm at about 3 magnitude on the Richter scale. There was a definite rumble under the water. I don’t know if it was the earthquake aftershock but it was peculiar.

Has anyone experienced scuba an earthquake while scuba diving? Did you hear and feel a rumble?

I guess I had my first earthquake dive.

Interesting experience.

Ive had an earthquake (actually 2 in a week) while diving. Was felt more than heard. Very strong vibration. Odd sensation, very different to a large boat nearby. In total i guess was felt and heard for a total of 15 seconds.

Not sure id want to be at the epicentre of a very powerful one though!

I was in a 5.3 in North Sulawesi a couple of years ago. I was doing a solo dive in very shallow water and saw a cluster of tube sponges swaying quite violently even though there was no discernable current. I peeked around behind it to see if there was some big fish bumping up against it, but there was nothing. Then the sound came. It was as if a huge tanker ship was right overhead. I even looked up since I was in about 3-5 meters of water and thought it was weird for such a large boat to be in shallow water like that. Of course there was nothing. I finally realized it was an earthquake, so I hurried out of the water, ran to my room and logged on to the internet to see that the earthquake had happened about 125 km from where I was diving.

Fascinating! Ultimately I would think a diver in the water would be safer than being on land during a serious quake. Not that we have to worry about quakes in Florida...

That rumbling??---was your buddy's 'self deflation system' working...:)

Don't kid yourself about no earthquakes in and around Florida. I suspect that lots of people in the 1800's thought the same thing about the Midwest until the Madrid quake tore the hell out of the Mississippi basin.

Back
Top Bottom