Learning American Sign Language with your buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was checking out some youtube videos on American Sign Language (ASL). Seems like it would be useful to communicate with a buddy (who is hopefully knows as many signs as you do). After learning 50-80 signs about scuba, I think one can have a much in depth conversation in addition to using regular "scuba taught" signs.

I think one would want to know at least these:

I, you, they, all, together, this, those.
Want, need, must, end.
Now, past, future, today, later, in a few (mins, hours).
Give, take, gear, drink, pee, rope, hose, connection, gauge.
Swim, dive, snorkel, air, water, bubbles, waves, boat, shore/beach, home base, house/home.
Forgot, remember, danger, safe, go, move, through, same, better, worse, why, where, who, how many.

These are just some words I came up with that might be useful.

So, using 50-80 signs one can add to regular scuba signs and hold a much detailed conversation without defaulting to writing. First, the communication can be withing line of sight, thus, no need to swim up close to share the written notes, and it is faster.

Let us say that for a rather great conversation we would need 100 signs, give or take. Thus, it might take 4-6 lazy days to learn but one can practice them on the surface anytime and it is a very valuable knowledge.

The only weird part of ASL I find is the face mimicking. Like the sign for "sad", one moves the hand over the face and changes the expression when the hand passes over. With the face mask on and a regulator in, it would be hard to show any meaningful expression on a diver's face. :)

The only downside is that you can learn with your frequent buddy but any other buddy is unlikely to understand ASL.

What are your thoughts?

Seems like it would be very handy but I cannot imagine needing the sign for sad while diving. :)

i Sign and I dive so i think that I have a little insight to your plan. Yes it would work well to a point. One ASL requires facial as well as hand signs and masks will cover your facial expression. Second you need to clearly see the finger placement and movement in most signs. the presence of gloves and obscured vision with low viz or again masks will make this problematic. and for me personally I have never really had the desire to hold a conversation underwater, although I am capable.

Your plan will work but it will take some effort

Although I have not offered it in some time, I teach a class called Sea Signs. It is based on American Sign Language.

Learning and using a communication system under water is helpful for many dive teens as well as instructor / dive master teams working with students.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I asked a coworker years back who'd taken a class in sign language about learning it. She told me that if you don't use it from time to time, you lose it. So, what are the odds both you and one or two dedicated buddies will do the periodic practice to remain proficient, even in the simpler version you see yourself using?

Is the conversational capability needed/useful enough to justify it?

Richard.

My ex wife and I used to use ASL underwater. As Herb-alaska said, it's difficult to see with gloves, mask and low vis. Most of our first replies were "What?"

Perhaps easier in FL, out here on the left coast with our thick gloves, not so easy...If you do enough training on this with a buddy you will know his/her body language well and except for chit-chat, you probably wouldn't use it. You will instinctively see if something is wrong and with a gesture go right to it. That said, might be fun..especially if she...nevermind

FYI...

SeaSigns™
Fun & Safe Signing

Have you ever needed to communicate with your dive buddy under water?
Waiting until your surface interval just to communicate can be frustrating. Whether you are having a problem or just want to point out something cool, keeping good communication with your buddy can make the difference between an "okay" dive and a "great" fun and safe dive.
Communication alternatives have limitations.
There are many forms of underwater communication on the market today, such as specialized gear and slates. Special gear is very expensive. Using slates can be awkward and slow. Even the hand signals commonly taught lack an adequate vocabulary to truly communicate effectively. SeaSigns is simple, inexpensive, and of broad scope.
Based on American Sign Language, SeaSigns has a special vocabulary for scuba divers that is easy to learn and easy to use. The vocabulary is much broader in scope than other hand signal methods, using about 110 signs.After completing the course, in addition being better able to communicate underwater you will also receive a special medallion to wear on your BC to indicate you have been trained to SeaSign! Other trained divers will immediately know they can communicate with you using SeaSigns!

Do you have any document that would estimate how many people actually know SeaSign?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom