• Lamont's Rule

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Follow the DM

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Start ascent with 750PSI

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GCullen94

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone, I was wondering what everyone uses for gas planning, why they follow that strategy and where they were taught the strategy.

Thanks,
GC

For most dives we turn at 1/2 tank and return at a more shallow depth. Having a computer that can track multi-level profiles is a must for us.

Yeah it depends. Perhaps amend the poll to say something like "a boat dive to 80 feet". Or a shore dive to 30 feet swimming out 200 yards, etc.

Hey Tony, I posted this in Basic Scuba as I was wondering about open water dives with a max depth of 130 and no deco/overhead. Sorry for not making that clearer. I was curious as why people choose what profile they use and wanted to have a discussion about it.
Thanks
GC

Hrmm, you need a "when my reg starts to breath hard" and "when I flip my J-valve" option for some of the old school guys around...

Hey Tony, I posted this in Basic Scuba as I was wondering about open water dives with a max depth of 130 and no deco/overhead. Sorry for not making that clearer. I was curious as why people choose what profile they use and wanted to have a discussion about it.
Thanks
GC

It is really rather hard to do a "Basic Scuba" dive to 130' without a deco stop. Unless it is more or less a bounce dive. You may want to read more here. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/172536-ndl-limit-130-feet.html

I choose minimum gas. Learned it in GUE fundies. For me, this has the right balance of flexibility and safety. Rule of thirds can be either ridiculously conservative or even in some cases, not conservative enough. Also, there are a couple different "rules of thirds". The less calculated being 1/3 for descent and travel, 1/3 for return, 1/3 in reserve. The other is calculated similarly to the first, but using the same type of math as min. gas/rock bottom with another nuance or two. The nuts and bolts are for another thread though. With minimum gas, you do the calculations once and make a little table in wet notes or on a slate that tells you turn pressure for each depth. No math on the boat! The only reason to recalculate is to take into account changes in SAC as it comes down with experience.

Reactions: Eff
Yeah I realize it's hard to do however that's the limit as set forth by most recreational agency's. I should have said recreational limits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I'm in overhead, always thirds at a maximum.

In open water, it's spearfisher's rules or just whenever I feel like coming up.

Back
Top Bottom