Building underwater attractions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1982shawn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So i have been very curious about what it takes to build underwater attractions. I have scoured the internet and have not been able to find anything. Does anyone know of any threads, articles, blogs, or videos related to this topic? I used to work as a machinist and have built some highly complex devices and structures in the past. I would like to approach my local quarry and see if i can build an donate an underwater attraction, but want to get some ideas from those that have done it in the past. My primary concern is footings, and current/moving water pressure resistance ie, I don't want the attraction to fall over(if that is even an issue in a quarry). I'm very interested to see what the community has to say about this idea.

I was thinking a modular design, something that can be broken down and easily reassembled on shore, in pieces on shore, or assembled completely underwater.

this could be fun

Attachments

• jungle-gym-dome-hi.png
    jungle-gym-dome-hi.png
    87 KB · Views: 585
Fresh water quarries and lakes, normally has little to see. Attractions are often sunken like buses, cars, containers, concrete structures like figures, planes and even small ships. Structures that allow divers to penetrate, should be prepared for that, to avoid entanglements, divers trapped, lost or hurt. Objects like buses, cars, planes and small ships should also be prepared, removing free pieces, and all contaminants.
All structures should be revised routinely looking for deterioration, corrosion and loose parts.

Reactions: Doc
this could be fun

Yes - there is one of these set up in 60' of water at a dive site in Ontario - Cedar Hill (there are posts about this site here on SB). There is a lot of junk to look at at this spot - including a skeleton in a row-boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=347DPYAxQZE

Not sure if the dome is in this video; but there are many videos of this site online; one will have a picture of the dome; the last time I was there there was a old toilet in the centre of the dome.

MT

Yeah, could do without that toilet inside the dome....once the ice clears it's liftbag time.

I suppose a lot depends on visibility, temperature, etc. An artist on Cayman Brac has been creating sculptures for the "Lost City of Atlantis" but I haven't visited it yet; see pics at the link below. He's modeled the faces of the statues after real people; one of them is Bob Soto.

Atlantis Cayman Brac Gallery of Images

Yes - there is one of these set up in 60' of water at a dive site in Ontario - Cedar Hill (there are posts about this site here on SB). There is a lot of junk to look at at this spot - including a skeleton in a row-boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=347DPYAxQZE

{snip}

MT

My favouite comment on that Cedar Hill YouTube video is from a 13 year old to the divers in the video.

"I'm only 13 I dive. I got certified at 10 and I don't wanna get in ur business or anything but u might wanna consider clipping ur backup regulator octopus or whatever you would prefer onto you. It's not a bad idea to do that to ur dive comp. to. Just saying"

The kid rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom