Dive guide laws in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JWH

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been diving for over 20 years, have over 3000 logged dives and have been trained under the PADI system to Assistant Instructor. I have been working mainly as a freelance dive guide in the Gulf of Thailand for the last 10 years and have an extensive knowledge of the dive sites and aquatic life around Ang Thong Marine Park, Koh Phangan and of course, Koh Tao. Although I trained with PADI, I have no respect for an organisation that rewards quantity over quality, does very little to divert some of it's vast profits back into protecting dive sites and will certify almost anyone, regardless of ability, as long as they have the money to pay for the course. Therefore, as a protest, I have not paid my fees for the last few years. Most of the dive shops on the island are aware of this but continue using me because I am reliable and have the experience. However, we now have a new course director on the island who is saying that I am not allowed to work on the boats as a guide as I have to be a fully paid up member according to a Thai law. The only Thai law about guides that I am aware of is that you have to be a Thai national which of course negates most of the diving community. Is anyone able to enlighten me to the exact legalities? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom