Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time of year for diving Bonaire????

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49

Best time of year for diving Bonaire????

Is there good diving conditions in late October in Bonair?? Does it really matter when you go?? Is there a rainy season or a period where the no-seeums seem to be at its worse? Any advice would be great.

Registered

is not diving

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I prefer to go anywhere between January and December.

I believe november is the rain season...however haven been there then...it wasnt that bad..certainly did ruin the diving...but then again, it was just a week.

ScubaBoard Contributor

can't wait to return
    to VINIBU/Bonaire

Overlooking Winnipesaukee in NH and la isla bonita of Bonaire
    Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgsmith View Post
    Is there good diving conditions in late October in Bonair?? Does it really matter when you go?? Is there a rainy season or a period where the no-seeums seem to be at its worse? Any advice would be great.
    Good diving in Oct? Of course! As far as when you go it should be on your schedule. The best time to dive, well i prefer right now. Generally speaking the ocean is like a big lake and some days here it's like glass. Was diving "The Lake" 2 days ago & we had at least 120 foot viz (unfortunately we did have a bit of a current; but nothing we couldn't handle).

Generally, the period between Nov & Feb is considered to be "rainy season". However this is really a misnomer. If you get a shower every day, it's brief & many times at night.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

VINIBU @ Bellevue Condominiums, Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
    http://www.bellevuebeachbonaire.com

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I think we've been in every season.....doesn't matter at all! As DiverVince says, rainy season means you might get a shower but it has never impacted the diving for us. Go when you can.....

I've never had a problem with no-seeums on Bonaire. Now, on Roatan that's a different story!
    Oly EPL2, PT-EP03 with flat port (and stacked 165's), Zen dome, Oly 14-42 and 9-18, Inon D2000 and D-180 strobes, UCLS tray and arms. I also still have my C5060 and PT020 that I just can't part with.
    12˚08'35" N 68˚15'55" W

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgsmith View Post
    I wouldn't worry about no-seeums. However, during the rainy season, mosquitoes can be a major issue. Bring the best mosquito repellent you can find and use it in the early evenings. Don't be afraid to wear pants/shoes to dinner.

Have fun with your trip planning...
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I enjoy going in August, less people on the island and I had the best vis ever on one trip. I tend to skip the holiday weeks because it can get a little crowed down there but I've really never have had a bad trip.

Registered

recreational diver

Dives
    200 - 499
    Well my 2cents and worth every penny :-)
    Been there May,August,November and many times in March. Rainy season was less humid than May and can't remember much rain, must of been at night. August is quieter but hot. March is busy and have run into some wave action that made diving difficult for a couple of days (happened once in 6 or so visits). Favorite time was November but that was before cruise ships, was quiet and peaceful and the diving is always great.
    having said that I've never run into visibility greater than 70 feet, so reference to 120' has got my attention. Mosquitoes and no see-ems always a factor. Go when you can, if you can!
    Bob

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Anytime is a great time to dive on Bonaire! We really don't have a "rainy season" like you would see in the tropical islands. Our idea of a rainy season is about a 15 minute burst of rain in the middle of the night, or a 5 minute burst in the middle of the afternoon once in a while. We are an arid island, kind of desert like with some sub tropical areas, but not much. We have palm trees, divi trees, flamboyant trees, are famous for our "kadushi" (tall cactus).

Getting back to rainy season, it seems to be changing over the past few years. It used to be "rainy season" was mid Nov - beginning of Feb. 2008 we had very little rain at all, and 2009, none from October until May 2010! The last month and 1/2 we have been having rain that has been consistent with our normal "rainy" season.

I would have to say, based on history, the late October thing is good for no seeums. I would also recommend April and May as the best months too!
    The Ginocchio's@Golden Reef Inn
    Bonaire, Netherland Antilles
    Golden Reef Inn
    Where the customer ALWAYS comes first!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Thanks for all the replys. I cannot wait to dive Bonair.

Registered

One blessed man

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    The best time to dive to Bonaire.................as soon as you can get your ass down there !!!!!!
    Those people with integrity expect to be believed. When they are not, they let time prove them right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast