Salt Pier Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there any problem diving Salt Pier on weekdays when I would suppose there are people working there or at least more people working? We are thinking about diving it tomorrow and curious since some say it's not supposed to dived at all.

My guess (sorry) is that what matters is whether there is a ship docked there, and that can occur on a weekday or a weekend. If there's a ship, then you can't dive. If there's no ship, then you can dive. I don't think the mere fact that someone is working at the pier would matter. But that's nothing more than a guess--and you're just as capable of guessing as I am. I'll be in your shoes in just a few weeks (counting down the days!), so let's see what others say.

Thanks. Yes we know not to dive if a ship is there or on the horizon soon to dock.

The Salt Pier 'Question' comes up a lot. Here's a thread from June 2014 about it, started by Dr. Bill. Some posts that look interesting to me:

#17 by wwguy:

The BNMP replied to my email inquiry. They aren't aware of any current permitting process, enforcement, or official policy from the Harbour Master or the salt company regarding diving at the Salt Pier. Like us, they believe that the current unofficial common-sense rule is that diving is allowed when no ships are in the area.

#11 by wwguy:

It's my understanding that access to both Town Pier and Salt Pier have been restricted since sometime between 9/11/2001 and Hurricane Omar in 2008. The reason given has been requirements for heightened security according to post 9/11 regulations required by the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002, US Coast Guard, and other agencies responsible for tightening and controlling security for commercial ports. The Bonaire harbormaster is responsible for access to both piers and has since required permits and guides to dive either. (The harbormaster hasn't issued many dive permits for Town Pier since hurricane Omar in 2008, but that's another story.)

While the harbormaster's requirement for permits and commercial dive guides appears to remain in place, compliance and enforcement seem to be lax. I suspect this is due to the relatively low risk of tourist divers diving the salt pier, the positive effect on dive tourism business, and the reluctance of the harbormaster to enforce it (for whatever reason.) I've enjoyed diving the Salt Pier too in recent years and nobody has stopped me from doing so. But that doesn't means the pier is officially "open" to diving, as claimed repeatedly in this thread and elsewhere previously.

I suspect the offended dive guide was mostly interested in protecting his revenue stream, and not so much interested in safety of the pier.

If interested below are a few links with supporting information. None definitively state what I've speculated on above from an official position.

STINAPA and BNMP communicates the requirement to obtain permission to dive Salt Pier.
Here's a blog post where Anna and Ned DeLoach recount some background info on the closing.
Here's a link where Rocargo lists some of the commercial mooring specifications of the Salt Pier.

I'm going to send an email to the BNMP inquiring about current status.

Richard.

I kind of figured the OP had read those threads and was asking more specifically about the effect of people "working there" at the pier. It's an interesting potential complication. Anyone have an answer?

There should be someone at the Cargill office there so the best thing to do is stop and check. They'll know if a ship is inbound also. Technically the harbor master controls access if you want to contact them. (599)-717- 8151

We dove it twice weekdays and once at night during 1st week of sept. Some guys were working when we surfaced. We waved. They waved.

I kind of figured the OP had read those threads and was asking more specifically about the effect of people "working there" at the pier. It's an interesting potential complication. Anyone have an answer?
I've seen one such complication in which workers were making repairs to the conveyor system that goes overhead to the end of the pier. in that case, there were signs indicating that diving was closed beneath the pier. I believe the workers were being cautious about potential damage from falling steel pieces. The conveyor was not active nor was a ship present.

No problems diving it two weeks ago... No diving when a ship is there.. The Cargill people are very nice to deal with.. Have fun its a assume dive spot
.jim

Back
Top Bottom