Weight Harness: DUI vs SeaSoft vs Best Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering a harness to replace my weight belt. The belt has just been a never-ending source of unhappiness for various reasons: uncomfortable, hard to get on right, doesn't fit under my BP/W harness. I was considering adding weight pockets to my BP/W harness, but I think I'd rather be able to be at least somewhat close to neutral if I take my BC off at depth.

I hope I can avoid a discussion of "why do you want to take your BC off at depth?" for the time being. If you want to talk about that, start another thread, please.

I'm hoping that I can comfortably wear the weight harness under my BP/W harness, and be able to leave the weights out until the last minute when I'm gearing up. I wonder if I'll be able to hang the weights low enough so they don't interfere with my BC and not have them kwonk my trim all out of whack. I also wonder how this system would work on long shore hikes.

I usually have 12 lbs on my belt, but recently, with rented AL80 cylinders and extra fleece, I was carrying 20 lbs on the belt, in addition to 4 lbs on my ankles and a steel plate with weight plates. That seemed like a lot, but with a cylinder at 500 PSI, and a totally squeezed suit, I could just stay down at 15 ft, but at 10 ft I was floating up.

As far as weight pockets go, of all ones I've seen, I like the release mechanism on the Apeks WTX system the best. I don't think they make a stand-alone weight harness with those pockets, do they? Probably wouldn't be too hard to make one, though.

Never mind, the SeaSoft pockets have a similar release mechanism. One concern I read about recently was a buckle like that jamming with sand and not opening up. Well, maybe it wasn't exactly the same kind, probably more like a regular Fastex buckle like on Scubapro and most other systems, but both the Apeks and the SeaSoft have elements that have to squeeze together to release, so possibly susceptible to jamming.

I've seen other systems like the DUI, where they use a "ripcord", but I've never been able to figure out why they don't make it like a real parachute ripcord, with short pins along the length, so you don't have to pull the whole thing out to release, just the length of a pin. Granted, you probably won't be re-threading those things very often, but that system just looks like trouble waiting to happen, to me. Not to mention that you can't just pop the weights in and out after you've put the harness on.

Now I've just discovered Best Divers, but I can't get a very good idea of how it works from the pictures on their website.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I use the DUI weight harness, and like it. Everyone I dive with has switched to it, and I've seen a lot of them on the dive boats. They are popular. I HATED a weight belt. It was constantly sliding down, shifting and generally making me uncomfortable.

The DUI weight harness is great improvement. It can carry up to 40#, and the pockets are easy to open and close. Adding and removing weights is very easy. The model I have is very adjustable and comfortable. There are 2 models, I'm not sure which one I have.

The pockets have been very secure so far. I haven't needed to dump weight yet, but would feel like if I did, how I rethread the pockets would be the least of my worries.

I don't know anything about the others you posted about, but would highly recommend the DUI weight system.

http://www.dui-online.com/bc_wt.htm

Hi Artimas,

Thanks for the info on the DUI weightbelt... I posted on the DUI cite and haven't heard back yet... I'd like to know will they work with the Apeks WTX harness? And would someone prefer the DUI weightbelt over the integrated weights you can get with the WTX harness...

I don't want to get the DUI weights and have them overlap on top of my BC in a ackward position. Perhaps you can shed some light on this topic....

I know it would be more flush with integrated on the BC but I believe it only does up to 20 lbs and I will be diving Dry so I need more weights...

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,

MG

MG, I have a couple different ones including the DUI.

You wear it under the BC- just adjust the height of the pockets on your hips so that there is no interference with the BC. I wear a bp/w so I have it fairly low on my hips so that it is lower than anything on the BC and does not interfere.

Not familiar with WTX at all.

I've used the DUI weight and trim II with some of my configurations with good results. I never found it to interfere with my gear and preferred it to a integrated weight solution.

I use the seasoft harness with 20 pounds in it. LOVE IT !!! The height needs to be adjusted so the pockets are below your bcd though. I like the fact that you can also add additional pockets as well as rear non ditchable weight pockets. For me it was the best item I've bought. NO sliding or re adjusting the belt anymore. As far as wearing it on land , I really like the way the weight is a little better balanced so I have no problem walking to & from the entry point. Whatever you decide on, research your product, make the investment, and play around with it a bit before deciding that maybe it wasn't the right one. Good luck in your endeavors.

I sure like the looks of the Seasoft. So far, sticking with a harness with pockets.

don O

Has anyone tried the Apeks integrated weights on the WTX harness? I would love to hear your personal experience?

Thanks,

MG

The harness is adjustable, so the weights are below the bottom of your BC. They don't interfere at all.

I leave the weight in mine, It's not necessary to load and unload the weight to transport it. It is easy to carry on your shoulders with the weight in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom