East End of Grand Cayman trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from a trip to Grand Cayman. My wife, son, and I went to Compass Point Condos and dove with Ocean Frontiers for 7 days of 2-tank dives. We had a great time, and thought that the diving was excellent. The dive operation was excellent. The dive guides were first-rate, and the dives were very easy. Most dives were a 5 or 10 minute boat ride from the dock to the dive site. The first dive was a deeper dive, roughly 100 feet maximum depth. Usually we would go through a cool swim through that would terminate at the wall. These sites were mostly on the southwest side of the island. The corals were good, as was the fish life. There were lionfish, and these are probably keeping the fish population lower than it would otherwise be. The second dives were shallower, typically to a maximum depth of 60 feet, and these would be through networks of swimthroughs. These were my favorite dives, and were made even better by many schools of silversides and tarpon. In general, the underwater topography was the star feature of most all of the dives. The swim throughs were just spectacular.

We ate breakfast and lunch at our condo (there is a Foster's market about a 10 minute drive north of the condos where you can stock up), and had dinners at nearby restaurants. Our favorite was Portofino, which was a 5 minute drive north of the condos.

Here are some pics of the underwater scenes.

Here is a link to the whole set:
2010 grand cayman - a set on Flickr

Hey edpdiver, I was on the silversides trip with you. We ran into you at portofino's later on.

Your big Nikon took much better shots than my little Canon point and puke. It was a blast though.

Did you make it out to Over the Edge? That was our favorite eatery.

epdiver, Beautiful photo'! Wife and I are heading to Grand Cayman in October for the first time and trying to determine who to dive with and what spot to go.

epdiver, Beautiful photo'! Wife and I are heading to Grand Cayman in October for the first time and trying to determine who to dive with and what spot to go.

Thanks Marshall, glad you like the photos. I have only been to the East End of Grand Cayman, and I have heard that the diving is better there than other spots. However, I know that the weather and water conditions get worse later in the year. I highly recommend Ocean Frontiers as a dive operation. They are very good. You can contact them to see if October is a good month to go with them. I know I called once to ask about January, and they gave me an honest assessment about what the were likely to be. I just checked their website Scuba Diving Adventures - Dive Vacations, East End, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - Ocean Frontiers Dive Center, and they have some good fall specials.

- Erwin

Erwin,
Thanks for the advise. Will be in contact with them. We are staying at the Marriott on Seven Mile Beach so I need to see how close they are to SMB. Again, your photo's are wonderful! I have been showing them to my family. My wife hope to rent a camera while in GC.

Erwin,
Thanks for the advise. Will be in contact with them. We are staying at the Marriott on Seven Mile Beach so I need to see how close they are to SMB. Again, your photo's are wonderful! I have been showing them to my family. My wife hope to rent a camera while in GC.

Marshall, have a great trip and let me know how it goes. Have fun taking pics. - Erwin

Marshal the East End is on the farthest side of the island from 7 mile beach from where you are staying.Most dive ops near where you are will dive the West side and/or the North Wall.There are several Ops that will pick you up on 7 mile beach.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any shore diving on the west and north? Its been a long time between salt water dives and thought I would do a shore dive to get my salt legs back before I did a wall dive.

One of the best shore dives in my opinion is the Turtle Farm/Cracked Conch (Sundivers) at the "north" end of 7 mile beach.They rent tanks on site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom