TRIP REPORT: Cayman Aggressor, February 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BubbleBlocker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Overview:

We've been staying at our place on Grand Cayman's East End more and more and when Aggressor offered a $600 discount a while back we thought a week aboard the boat would be a great add-on to one of our trips south. What a great decision! We had a fantastic week, diving sites we haven't done in years, and experienced some of the most phenomenal conditions I've ever seen in the winter in Cayman. This report started out as a daily log that I originally posted on another site, and highlights the key points of the trip.

We typically fly out of Dulles and are fortunate to have both Cayman Airways and United flying non-stop to GCM. We first spent a week diving with Compass Point and then packed up our gear and drove to Georgetown to board the boat last Saturday afternoon. It was a new experience not having to deal with a lot of the normal dive travel logistics before and after the trip since all of my dive and photo gear is in Cayman to begin with, and will be left here when I go north.

Dive Day 1:

We boarded on Saturday afternoon and immediately set off for Little Cayman. The crossing was a breeze and the conditions off Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson Bight are beyond flat. Water temps are 78-79. We did two dives (Randy's Gazebo) this morning and will do one here at Jackson followed by a late afternoon and night dive at a third site. We saw lots of groupers, crabs, turtle, and the usual suspects.

There have been a couple of changes since I was last on the boat, including free wifi. Pretty cool. The chef is from Jamaica and it was clear early on that I was going to have to do a lot of diving over the course of the week given all the terrific food offered.

The boat holds 18 but there are only 12 of us onboard during the week of President’s Day; great for us, and unusual given that all the surrounding weeks are sold out. Cabins are comfy with individual climate control and TVs with DVDs. There also is an iMac for those who didn't bring his/her own.

JacksonBight.jpg

One more quick pic: This is what I woke up to this morning ...

sunrise.jpg

The afternoon/evening dives were at The Meadows and 3 Fathom Wall. There were *lots* of sharks at The Meadows, lots of groupers in general, and temps holding at 79.

cayman_2012-168.jpg

cayman_2012-189.jpg

Dive Day 2:

We started out day #2 at Leah Leah’s lookout, a spectacular spot with a really beautiful large pinnacle. Lots of Groupers joined us once again, with one in particular doing his best to point out a small lion fish. It seemed like if he could talk he’d be telling me to spear it so he could eat it. In general, the one thing we’re not seeing a lot of are lion fish, which is a very good sign. We also ran into a friendly and photogenic turtle and a huge lobster that was sitting at the bottom of a big barrel sponge. I always look in the sponges and this time got a surprise! ;-) Also saw my first pygmy octopus on this site - and of course had the wide angle lens on the camera!

The afternoon dives were at Bus Stop, a pretty site with a mini-wall with lots of little critters (blennies, Pederson shrimp, yellow headed jaw fish, etc.) and passages out to the deep wall. There were lots of opportunities for exploring all kinds of nooks and crannies through the wall. A hammerhead was spotted just off the mooring line.

The night dive was over at Cayman Brac so we headed over for the 90 minute run after the last afternoon dive. We dived the Tibbitts wreck as the night dive and first dive the next morning. Water temps still 79, seas flat, great viz out on the walls. All dives were in the 100 foot range; nitrox was 31-21% and $90 for the week for repeat guests ($100 otherwise, which is still an excellent deal).

This shot shows the awesome viz we've been having:

cayman_2012-119.jpg

Day 3:

What a difference a day can make! We woke up to large swells off the coast of the Brac due to a front passing through. Things got so rough on the deck that four people lost their fins when they were ripped off the rack overnight. Luckily the boat was stocked with enough spares for everyone. We did one early dive on the Russian destroyer and then got underway quickly to head back over to protected waters on the lee side of Little Cayman. The wreck's mid-section was pretty broken up, with only one end upright - very different from the last time I saw it!

For dive #2 and #3 we moored at Black Holes on the south side of Little Cayman, a very pretty site with chimneys and crevices down to a spectacular wall from a sandy area with patches of coral. Seas are calm once again; not quite as flat as earlier in the week, but not too shabby.
clip_image002.png

A couple more pics from Little Cayman:

cayman_2012-93.jpg

cayman_2012-258.jpg

cayman_2012-2-11.jpg

cayman_2012-2-3.jpg

This guy was busy excavating. To his left in the photo, you can see the little puff of sand he had just spit out:

cayman_2012-2-15.jpg

Never had seen a lobster hanging out in a barrel sponge before!

cayman_2012-56.jpg

Day 4:

We finished the crossing overnight and woke up at the northwest corner of Grand Cayman to dive at Big Tunnels. The crossing was pretty easy again. Conditions were still pretty flat and the viz was pretty much endless. Big Tunnels is a beautiful site that I hadn’t dived in years, with a large pinnacle and canyons with big sea fans. We saw a couple of turtles and yet more big groupers. For a change I had the right lens on the camera. The day’s agenda included two dives on Big Tunnels, followed by 2 afternoon dives and a night dive on the Kittiwake.

Today also was boutique day, with the Aggressor opening shop to offer a wide variety of shirts, hats, and even handmade Christmas ornaments in manta and eagle ray shapes. The captain, Alan, also made arrangements for those who lost fins to be furnished with replacements. Also, as compensation for the cost, Nitrox for the week provided free of charge. They really didn't have to do this, as it was purely an accidental loss, so it was a particularly generous gesture.

A few shots from today:

cayman_2012-2-14.jpg

cayman_2012-4.jpg

cayman_2012-112.jpg

cayman_2012-111.jpg

We hit the sack relatively early since the next day was set to start with a pre-dawn dive at 5:45 and then 2 'normal' morning dives, 2 afternoon dives, and a night dive, for a total of 6 dives. As they say, "Eat, Sleep, Dive ... Repeat."

Day 5:

We started the day on the Doc Poulson wreck, a 70-foot cable-laying ship sunk in 1981 next to a reef and (relatively) short wall. The wreck is encrusted with brain corals and sea fans and is home to a big green moray, a large Mutton, and a couple of groupers. Between the wreck and the reef and wall are sandy patches with garden eels.

After that we headed up north for a dive at Stingray City followed Trinity Caves and Round Rock, and then wrapped up the day on the Oro Verde. Stingray City was fun for a few photos and the people who had never done it before much appreciated making the stop.

cayman_2012-56-2-2.jpg

I had forgotten what a fantastic site Trinity Caves was! It has beautiful swim throughs and crystal blue water. We saw several turtles and three huge green morays free swimming - the largest I've ever seen - with two of them in a mating ritual. It was incredible. Seas continued to be flat, water temps were reading at 78, and viz was still terrific.

The Oro Verde was a lot more broken up than I remembered it, but it makes a great home for all kinds of creatures and schools of fish. Temps were the warmest of the trip, reaching 80 degrees.

A few more pics...

cayman_2012-27.jpg

cayman_2012-3.jpg

Day 6:

For the sixth and last day of diving, we had sites on the itinerary for the morning, Eagle Ray Rock and Devil's Grotto, both very nice dives not too far from the dock. We didn't see any eagle rays at Eagle Ray Rock, but we did see the largest turtle of the trip. The site is very pretty, with long sloping channels of sand surrounded with scenic reef with plenty of fish. It's on the southwest tip of the island, and reminded me of ski slopes.

And after the dives, the boat headed back in to Georgetown for refueling and provisioning, and to get ready for next week's guests and do it all over again!

cayman_2012-3-7-1.jpg

The Aggressor hosted a cocktail party on the boat on the last evening, followed by dinner in Georgetown. From what I heard, they put out quite a spread on the boat and a great time was had by all - ending a great trip in style! We headed back to our own place on East End in the mid-afternoon, taking lots of great memories with us.

More pics:

cayman_2012-3-5-1.jpg

cayman_2012-5.jpg

cayman_2012-5-2.jpg

Back on East End I wasn’t quite ready to end my vacation, so I did two more dives to cap things off. There’s no place like home. J

cayman_2012-49.jpg

cayman_2012-15.jpg

cayman_2012-16.jpg

Summary:

The Aggressor is great for getting Grand Cayman and the Sister Islands all wrapped up in one trip. If you have two weeks, I'd do the Aggressor one week and then East End the second week (or vice versa). The Aggressor doesn't typically do the north, south and east sides of GC. This worked great for us since we didn't dive a single site we've dived in years while we were on the boat. Then we were able to come back to EE and dive our 'home' sites.

This week, (first of March 2012), the Agressor was "stuck" in the seven-mile beach area, due to high winds coming from the East, with a small craft warning in effect.

However, this Thursday morning they opened up again Stringray city and the Agressor left the area, probably to Little Cayman.

So even if it's a bigger boat, it won't travel in rough seas the 90 miles between GC and LC.

Your UW pics are gorgeous, my "used" Oly SP-350 with 2 strobes Ultrapower UXDS-1, and Thursday was the sunniest of days, managed these pics of the Kittiwake.

For the other UW picture taking enthusiasts, having a comparison might be nice.

I haven't retouched my images yet for WB & contrast. Bubbles (Ellen) please post your UW photo setup.

P3040160.jpgP3040156.jpgP3040186.jpg

Thanks for the current update, Mark. I've been watching WindGuru and the conditions certainly have been more blustery lately than they were for us in mid-February! I'm hoping they'll be calm by the time we're back down next month. Of course it's really hard to predict the weather as it seems to change so rapidly these days. We certainly lucked out with our trip, and given the amount of time we spend on GC we would have been less than thrilled spending a full week on a liveaboard off the coast of SMB. That said, we really enjoyed our GC dives off the Aggressor, and particularly enjoyed the Kittiwake. I have to say it was a much better dive than I had anticipated - and it will only get better with time. The best part of diving it from the Aggressor was being able to get on the wreck when the day boats weren't there. At times we had it pretty much to ourselves.

Thanks for posting your photos, and for your comments on mine. Most of mine are corrected for white balance where it was necessary and were shot with a Canon T2i in a Nauticam housing with 2 Ike 125/160 strobes; wide angle shots used a Tokina 10-17mm FE under a Zen 100 mini-dome; macro was shot with a Canon 100mm.

P.S. Re: making the crossing in rough seas: My first trip on the CA (previous boat) was about 20 years ago and I spent most of the crossing lying on the camera table as it was huge and it was placed dead center on the boat. As I remember it, I was pretty close to jumping overboard!

Thought I would add to BubbleBlocker's thread since I was there with her...she has be my dive buddy for 20 years!

We started our stay at our place at Gun Bay/CP and again hooked up with Ocean Frontiers (remain our favorite dive operation and besides since we stay at Compass Point could not be nicer or more convenient)>>

DSC00393-1.jpg

I really expected to get blown out on the North Side and even felt there was a 50/50 chance that the Cayman Aggressor would not depart for LC & CB... so it was with enthusiasm I watched winds diminished and change direction so that the first week (we were down for 3 weeks) we could dive the North Side sites...this was particularly important since the last two dives (Valley of the Dolls and Kathleen's Reef) for my Green Shorts were both located there. Well it happened and did the 55 and thus obtained the coveted Green Shorts (Ellen got them in January)>>

DSC00929.jpg

Here I am cutting the cake with Ellen and our son Galen at my side...made it even more special
DSC01097.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

Just a few random pics of the East End...
Typical East End bus stop :)
DSC01204.jpg

A 'must not miss' is the Sunday Fish Fry at a local place about 1.5 miles down the road from OF.... (3) local women run it and the fresh fried Snapper is to die for (they also serve Grouper but we do not eat the 'puppy dogs of the sea)'

DSC01194.jpg

East End shoreline can range from intermittent sandy beaches to what is called iron shore (this is akin to volcanic rock, is very sharp and is one of the reasons shore diving on the East End/North Side can be challenging)

DSC00446.jpg

CIMG3156.jpg

A growing treat is lion fish ceviche and lion fish dredged in spices and placed on the barby>>

DSC00943.jpg

Here we are leaving George Town aboard the Cayman Aggressor...just a beautiful day for sailing to LC/CB
DSC01106.jpg

Arrived LC about 2 a.m. and when I went out for my early coffee I could only smile at this sight... this is Cayman's in the winter????(told some of the new-to-Cayman divers on the Cayman Aggressor that the weather gods were smiling on us since water this flat in the winter is very rare)>>
DSC01117.jpg

Last edited:
Now more pics and comments...

While at LC/CB did some great dives at Bloody Bay and of course the Tibbitz (also known as 356)... I will provide a YouTube link to some of the video I shot there and back on the Grand Cayman dive sites...more later.

After several days of wonderful diving we headed back to Grand Cayman to the West End (which we normally do not dive since we live on the East End) where we went back to sites we have not been on for about 12 years plus doing the new 'wreck' the Kittiwake.

This is what the Kittiwake looks like from a low fly over (we were at about 350' in a near stall speed Cessna)

CIMG3246.jpg

A nice graphic showing the site>>
DSC01154.jpg

One of my videos shows the Kittiwake

We have loads of pics of Cayman Island and BubbleBlockers excellent collection of U/W macro and wide angle pictures taken in the Cayman Island waters.

Now to my videos... I use a GoPro Hero 2 in a Eye of Mine U/W housing with a Light Motion video light. Very compact and within limitations does decent video... here is the set up (Ellen pic of me)

Image7.jpg

These are links to the YouTube videos (these are raw & unedited so allow for that...still some interesting shots)

Kittiwake (this video is NOT from My Phone... just forgot to change title :no: )
Video from My Phone - YouTube

Kittiwake Mirrors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9mcrd5jm0&context=C4136218ADvjVQa1PpcFNAd8raqf_6vm-AqcGo1h_vmwimHKbKxLI=

Kittwake Wheel House
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL67UI-eW08&feature=youtu.be

Tibbitz at Cayman Brac (We first dived this site back in late 1990's when it was fairly new...was intact and access to interior required penetration diving...now is broken into three parts (bow, midship and stern sections with the midship pretty torn up as can be seen in this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNT1xm0CAw8&feature=related

Resident Goliath Groper on the Tibbitz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBID...DvjVQa1PpcFNAd8raqf_6vug9HU8K23Yd94A6wtLQ03Y=

In BubbleBlockers pics you saw some closeups of a sting ray....this is a video of the sting ray, Ellen and me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d35I...DvjVQa1PpcFNAd8raqf_6vnhvQekKU6B2QzuTZ4hgJ2g=

This one I have never witnessed before... mating Moray eels... male was huge!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FwF...DvjVQa1PpcFNAd8raqf_6vq4YBTekYiajQka-1GaTG80=

The beauty yet a beast... Lion Fish up close
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wX9G3KwXkA&feature=youtu.be

Big lobster cruising around>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycV_...DvjVQa1PpcFNAd8raqf_6vnhvQekKU6B2QzuTZ4hgJ2g=

And of course Sting Ray City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASGm...DvjVQa1PpcFNAd8raqf_6vpGmttC5-a7aiwTBMmiV-9k=

We be from Reston Va. but will be back down to East End next month...never tire of being at GC and getting wet :D
DSC00945.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics and report.

Much like my dives in Maui, the dive places where there are a lot of snorkelers and divers, it shows on the reef. Less stuff, especially the bigger life forms.

North of the Kittiwake, up to the Cracked Conch area, was better. Locals told me between the East End (where Ocean Frontier is) to North Sound / Rum Point, the reefs are more pristine.

However, GC has great water temp and land temp.
Too bad we had so much wind, on Saturday afternoon, finally, we were able to do the Stingray City boat tour with Dexter. CTD and other small boats stationed in the 7MB area did not want to travel "around the bend" up North, with the swells between 4-8 feet.

Thanks Bubble for the camera info. As a pro-DSLR photographer, I'm starting to appreciate the better optics of the better gear compared to my current setup, bought used & cheap, from a fellow scuba board member.

Can't beat the sub-500$ price for a cam/housing/2-strobe setup, but looking forward to getting my Nikon D90 (or 7000) UW with my Tokina 10-20m, with stronger strobes.
Great for "learning".

Amazing what WB correction does for UW pics. Will be doing some post-processing in Adobe Lightroom 3 all week...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom