Computer Wrist Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of divers prefer wrist mounted computers for quick viewing. Unfortunately, their straps do a lousy job of keeping the instrument in place. Sliding and spinning around your wrist is all too common as the suit gets wet and compresses with depth. I also like to wear computers higher on my forearm and more on the side than a wrist watch to eliminate interference with gloves.

A problem that worries me far more is the straps, buckles, and pins are single points of failure. Any of these let loose and I spend the rest of the day searching the bottom before giving up and buying a new computer.

Tech divers have long favored double bungee loops to solve both of these problems. DeepSeaSupply makes reasonably priced instrument mounts that fits some computers:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments

As fast as new computers come to market, it is no surprise that mine are not on the list. Here is a quick & dirty solution that keeps the computer in place and is a safety in case the strap fails.

It is made from a piece of truck inner-tube with a hole for the computer face and four small holes. Two ¼" bungee loops tied with a square knots pass through each set of holes. Bungee cord holds knots exceptionally well.

To use, first strap the computer in as usual. Then slide the contrivance shown in the photos over the top. The double bungee holds everything in place and captures the computer if/when a strap fails. A failure may flop around, but will not fall off.

Photos are for the Aeris F10 freediving computer with a large watch form factor and the Oceanic Veo "puck" style.

Attachments

• Veo-arm.jpg
    Veo-arm.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 662
  • Veo-arm-bungee.jpg
    Veo-arm-bungee.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 658
  • Veo-parts.jpg
    Veo-parts.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 539
  • F10-arm.jpg
    F10-arm.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 534
  • F10-arm-bungee.jpg
    F10-arm-bungee.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 604
  • F10-parts.jpg
    F10-parts.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Interesting solution.

Some people will also pull the pins, remove the bands, and replace them with bungee cord. This forms two strands in case a pin fails you will not loose your computer/timer.

Interesting solution.

Some people will also pull the pins, remove the bands, and replace them with bungee cord. This forms two strands in case a pin fails you will not loose your computer/timer.

True, but many of the smaller computers don't have enough mateial around the pin's hole to enlarge for bungees.

Back
Top Bottom