Which computer? What do you like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goodknight411

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for a new computer. Here's my requirements:

Nitrox
Hose mount
Quick Disconnect
Easy to read
backlight (want, not need)
not super conservative, but not extremely liberal

I haven't decided about air integrated or not. That's less important to me than the other stuff.

So, any recommendations?

I've been looking at the cobra, wisdom, and some others.

I've enjoyed my Dive Rite NiTek3 (but it has no backlight), and I think I'll enjoy my Tusa IQ-700 just as much (has a backlight and bigger dive log memory). I haven't had the chance to dive the Tusa yet. One item - if you have slim wrists / light bone structure, the strap that comes with the Tusa IQ-700 doesn't work at all for me - so I'm going to try switching to the depth-compensating band offered for the Nitek Duo before I dive with it.

I'm not sure why you want 'hose mount' but not necessarily air integrated. My first dive computer was a console mount Oceanic Data Plus. Since then, I've liked my wrist mount computers MUCH more - as even in low vis etc. I can always find my wrist pretty easily. Also, less potential for me to damage something directly mounted on my wrist vs. hanging in a console.

I've already told you my opinion off board, but FYI: Tusa IQ-700 = Dive Rite Duo = Apeks Quantum. They're all the same computer, made by Seiko. The IQ-700 has the best warranty out of the three, but Dive Rite tends to fix things under warranty even if the warranty has technically run out. You can get them hose mount (console with a SPG) or wrist mount.

I use the Wisdom. It meets all your specs. Mine recently went tango uniform on a dive. Sherwood (kramer decker) replaced it with a new one. My confidence is partially restored. Up until then I was very pleased with it. Just a heads up.

goodknight411:
Ok, I'm looking for a new computer. Here's my requirements:

Nitrox
Hose mount
Quick Disconnect
Easy to read
backlight (want, not need)
not super conservative, but not extremely liberal

I haven't decided about air integrated or not. That's less important to me than the other stuff.

So, any recommendations?

I've been looking at the cobra, wisdom, and some others.

It's a bit more liberal than the Suunto, but one can dive it more consertively easily.

It has all the features you want. I like it due to the easy to read big disaply, backlight, and is easy to use. It has a user replacable battery, and one can download dive profiles to the puter with the extra (but overpriced IMO) interface.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm now considering a wrist mount too.
I just can't decide on air intergrated or not. Less stuff, but you put all your eggs in one basket...

Good thing I have a while to research this, cause i sure don't have it together right now. :11: :06:

goodknight411:

I just can't decide on air intergrated or not. Less stuff, but you put all your eggs in one basket...

Good thing I have a while to research this, cause i sure don't have it together right now. :11: :06:

Even though I use an upper forearm mounted Aeris Elite...I have a mechanical SPG installed as well...

Paul in VT

i use the aeris atmos 2, does everything i need, and it's cheap, and is also a wrist
mount.

do the batteries on these things ever die? mine just keeps on rolling

Hi,
I like my Oceanic veo250. comes wrist mount too.
Valerie

goodknight411:

hi,
I was diving a oceanic versa pro, not a bad computer but needed a couple of additional compeuters for my family of divers. A friend of mine turned me on to the Suunto Mosquito. What a pleasure it has been to dive. It is a small wrist mount that is very easy to read and very simple to use. It meets most all of your requirements and it has a moderate price also.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom