Suunto And Bare: A Major Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subtle69

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I would like to share an ongoing experience through which I continue to suffer with Suunto and their Canadian distributors, Bare. May it serve as a warning for all of those considering having their computers repaired or serviced by either company. Please read on.

The saga began some months ago when my 3 year old Suunto Mosquito began to reset itself at all hours of the day, including in the middle of dives. All of my profile information would disappear and I would be forced to do an emergency decompression stop while doing a mid-dive RDP check. A little worried about my safety and after speaking to several other instructors, I learned I was not the only person having this issue with their Suuntos. Having heard great reviews of Suunto's Customer Service Dept., and that they repaired the faulty units free of charge, I sent my computer off to Bare, after being advised to do so by Suunto. This was August 8th.

Two weeks later, having not heard from either company, I phoned Bare and was told that my unit was now in Finland and that they would contact me when they knew what the problem was. One week later, I received a short, terse email informing me that I would have to pay $245 as the computer needed a new module. I was neither asked if I wanted the repairs completed or if I wanted the unit returned to me as is prior to the modules installation. In addition, I was also told without being advised in advance that I would have to pay an additional $45 to have the Mosquito returned to me.

After emailing my disbelief at not being consulted in anyway about the repair job and the expense to be incurred, I received neither a phone call or an email from the company for two weeks. After 6 emails from me, a new Customer Service rep. appeared from the woodwork and informed me that somehow my emails had disappeared into the ether: there was no apology. It is now the end of September, 6 weeks since the fiasco began.

A day or two later I was asked for my credit card number which I provided immediately along with the CVC code on the back. Four days later, I was asked again for my CVC code. I sent 4 emails with my CVC code. A week later, I was told that the CVC code had been received and that the package would be sent at my own expense, after two months, to my address in the Philippines.

Today is October 30th and I still do not have my computer. My request to have the Mosquito couriered to me at my own expense was ignored. I have been without one of the most important tools of my trade for almost 3 months! They claim they do not know where my computer is!

I have contacted Suunto in Finland several times along with Bare in Canada and have encountered nobody who will accept blame, make amends or explain why exactly all of this transpired. The incompetency I encountered at management level in both companies is staggering.

As a teaching-status and active PADI MSDT with 19 years of experience, I have never come across such complete disregard for professional courtesy, and certainly not such poor customer service. Once a firm supporter of Suunto, one who sold many a Suunto product by my recommendation alone, I feel a little betrayed and very angry.

BEBARE!

Yet another reason to not use a computer. :wink:

BTW NEVER e-mail CC info :no

subtle69:
The saga began some months ago when my 3 year old Suunto Mosquito began to reset itself at all hours of the day, including in the middle of dives. All of my profile information would disappear and I would be forced to do an emergency decompression stop while doing a mid-dive RDP check.

Emergency decompression stop?

Were you doing deco dives? If so you should have back up tables. If they were NDL dives do an (optional) safety stop then surface.

I understand your frustration but think you are laying it on a bit thick.

ianr33:
Emergency decompression stop?

Were you doing deco dives? If so you should have back up tables. If they were NDL dives do an (optional) safety stop then surface.

I understand your frustration but think you are laying it on a bit thick.

That's the way Padi teaches it more or less (RDP procedure for lost computer), because no-one it is assumed has a brain, which is generally a good call. :popcorn:

recreational dive planner

Back
Top Bottom