Flying into Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pa diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering how big of a pain in the butt it would be to fly into Cancun. Prices are much better, at least from the Pittsburgh area. But I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze............anybody with experience?

pa diver:
Just wondering how big of a pain in the butt it would be to fly into Cancun. Prices are much better, at least from the Pittsburgh area. But I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze............anybody with experience?

As long as you're not by yourself and carrying 20 pieces of luggage like I was when I came back with hurricane supplies, it's easy :D and worth it if the savings are significant.

I do it all the time. After leaving Customs you have to pass all the podiums with shuttle, taxi, rental car people. At the end of them all, just before you exit the area look for ADO/Riviera Bus agent. ADO people have red shirts $7 to Playa del Carmen. The bus is now straight out the door instead of the other side of airport which is nice. It is about an hour to Playa and most bus times are 45min past the hour. When you get off the bus you are 2 small blocks from the ferry. Don't mess around the bus station, the ferry leaves on the hour so you should make a quick connection. Watch the signs at the ferry pier ticket office for departure times. 2 companies running and not always both going every hour. If you buy wrong one you may sit for an hour. 40 min to Cozumel. If you have lots of bags a couple bucks at the airport or at bus station gets a porter. The ride on the bus is nice, it's a modern tour bus ac and the road is a 4 lane highway that is 6 years old. I save $200 per from Chicago to Cozumel via Cancun.

Lou

loudives:
I do it all the time. After leaving Customs you have to pass all the podiums with shuttle, taxi, rental car people. At the end of them all, just before you exit the area look for ADO/Riviera Bus agent. ADO people have red shirts $7 to Playa del Carmen. The bus is now straight out the door instead of the other side of airport which is nice. It is about an hour to Playa and most bus times are 45min past the hour. When you get off the bus you are 2 small blocks from the ferry. Don't mess around the bus station, the ferry leaves on the hour so you should make a quick connection. Watch the signs at the ferry pier ticket office for departure times. 2 companies running and not always both going every hour. If you buy wrong one you may sit for an hour. 40 min to Cozumel. If you have lots of bags a couple bucks at the airport or at bus station gets a porter. The ride on the bus is nice, it's a modern tour bus ac and the road is a 4 lane highway that is 6 years old. I save $200 per from Chicago to Cozumel via Cancun.

Lou

Now THAT"S fun information !

Taxi to hotel - $7
Ferry - $9
Savings on airfare - $200?
Not dealing with the hassle of getting from Cancun to Coz - PRICELESS!

The decision was made by my smarter half, the $100 was not worth schlepping bags/gear etc.....at least not this year. We are going to take a day trip to get a feel for the amout of trouble it would be. Because when you start to double those savings...............well, money could be spent elsewhere. Thanks for the information it will not be wasted.

pa diver:
Just a side note to some very good responses. The Cancun airport is like two airports. I arrived on a charter. You then must take a shuttle to the main airport to hook up with the bus service that is being referred to. Since it was my first time I could not find the bus to Playa and ended up on a van for 18 dollars. The van hawks acted like they didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them about the bus to Playa. At least I asked, so my wife can't get on me about my male weakness concerning the asking direction thing.
It was a good experience as I am now very comfortable about taking this route if Cancun is a lot lot cheaper.

As a solo traveler, I set a $100 minimum in savings as my criteria for flying through Cancun. In other words, I'll spend an extra $100 in airfare to fly directly in and out of Cozumel before I'll schlep everything through Cancun. It's not difficult, but it's a pain in the ***.

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

The trip I had planned from Florida to Cozmel... Flying into Cancun and using the bus and ferry would have saved me almost $500.00 for me and my wife.... I'm sorry, but $500.00 is $500.00.... I don't make that much money, so anything I can do to safe some money is worth it to me. I can deal with moving a few pieces of luggage and an extra hour or two on a bus or ferry.... JMHO though.... Good Luck on your trip.

Back
Top Bottom