Cozumel Trip Report 4/12/06-4/24/06 Very detailed and Insanely long!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingnthedark

Contributor
Reaction score
Michigan the land of ice, snow, and eternally cold
Thought I would take the time to post a report from my trip. I hadn’t really planned on returning to Cozumel in April but I needed to make my own assessment of the recovery progress since hurricane Wilma. This was my 6th trip to Cozumel and I generally make from 23-30 dives when I travel there. Cozumel is my escape pod when my life/reality gets too stressful, it is my home away from home, where I can go to see friendly faces and friends with positive attitudes about life. Having said that I can also tell you that the glass is always half full! At first I was dismayed when I saw the island during landing and did not see the overwhelming green that I am accustomed to seeing. I quickly got over it and realized how much hard work the people of Cozumel have done and continue to do to insure the islands continued vitality.
Accommodations: Stayed at Hotel Cozumel and Resort which I have stayed at on past trips. The Hotel is clean and the staff is friendly but I never get the all inclusive plan as I find that the food is generally better off the resort and I like to explore. The pool is very nice although I spent so much time in the ocean I never made it into the pool. The only thing that I really dislike about the Hotel Cozumel is that the activities remind me of being on a land based cruise ship. I guess it’s a plus for those traveling with family and or non-diving companions.
Dive Operations:
Did my diving with Blue XT Sea http://www.bluextseadiving.com/ and Bottom Time Divers http://www.bottomtimedivers.net/index.html both are 6 divers max/ fast boat operations who are proficient at dive briefings and allowing divers to maximize their bottom time based on individual air consumption and no decompression limits. Both carry on board O2 and are equipped with marine radio. Their captains and dive masters are top notch and the boat was always right there when we surfaced. Both operations serve snacks and cold water/juices between dives. Both also will clean and store your gear (Except your wet suit) for you and have it set up and waiting for you for your next dive day. (Which would have worked really well if I had just dove with one operation) Surface intervals are generally done at the beach where you can get off the boat, relax, swim or fill out your log book. I would not hesitate to recommend either Blue XT Sea or Bottom Time Divers to anyone as both are safety conscious, flexible and generally very interested in insuring that everyone has a good dive experience with them.
I made 27 dives total in the ten days I had set aside for diving. I was able to get to a look at the majority of Coz dive sites and thanks to Christi’s “Special Surprise” I was able to dive the Tortugas dive off Playa Del Carmen aboard her new boat Bandida II. I just love that boat, although it is a little trickier to climb back on, you get to be a pro after the first couple trips up the ladder. The Bandida II is very stable in the water and makes rough water trips smoothly to the northern reefs, as well as, crossing to the mainland. It was nice diving with Pedro Pablo DM of Blue XT Sea, as well as, Raul Platas Owner and DM of Bottom Time Divers both of whom I dove with when they worked for Blue Bubbles of long ago. I also got to make two dives with Christi owner of Blue XT Sea. I really want to thank Christi Courtney and Raul Platas for really going out of their way to make this one of the best dive vacations ever. Oh, I’ll definitely be back! The only thing I regret is not having been able to make some dives with Dario Hernandez owner of Xtabay Divers. Com as his boat Eusmilia is still under going repairs. I did get a ride back from Caleta, in my wet suit, on his scooter. That has to be something you don’t get a chance to do or see often… Only in Coz =). Maybe next time I will stay 3 weeks and dive a week with each of these operations!
Break Down of Dives/Sites and excerpts from my log book
Disclaimer: Although I have made 150 or so dives in Cozumel I am not an expert but have dove all the sites except the C53 wreck prior to Wilma …YMMV. One thing I found very interesting was an abundance of juvenile fish and juvenile critters, I think that when they grow bigger people with older eyes than mine will be able to see them. The reefs are obviously capable supporting the marine life in Coz. Even though some of the reefs particularly the shallow sites took a pounding from Wilma and a fair bit of sand scouring and dusting occurred, the reefs are far from gone! I noticed that the dive masters continue to work on the reefs during dives such as dusting sand off sponges and turning over dislodged coral structures so that the healthy pieces can regenerate. This speaks of their dedication to the marine ecology and restoration of the reefs.

Just dove Cozumel reefs (April 19-26). Am new diver (1 1/2 years) and thought the reefs lacked color and adult marine life. Like you we saw lots of newbie fish, turtles, eels,rays, lobster, crab, etc. but did not see many fish. Hopefully, the newbie population will grow bigger soon for those divers going to Cozumel in the future. We thought Rivera Maya was nicer.
P

My Notes:
4/13/06
#1Maracaibo Shallow- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Large Isolated Coral Heads) Hawksbill Turtle, 3 Nurse Sharks, lots of juvenile Queen Angels and Rock Beauties, nice Pillar Coral formation, site is healthy with lots of soft corals, minimal hurricane damage noted. 72 feet max for 61 minutes.
#2 Paso Del Cedral - Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Sand Flats and isolated Coral Heads) Large White Snapper, Hawksbill Turtle, Green Moray eel, MN Parrot Fish, Baracuda. 66 feet max for 67 minutes.
#3 Paradise Reef- Havier DM Blue XT Sea; Night Dive (Sand Flats and Low Profile Reef formations) Saw 5 Sharp Tail Snake Eels, one Caribbean Reef Octopus, True Tulip moving along at a fast clip for a snail! Lots of Lobster, Spotted Moray, Yellow Rays, Flamingo Tongue Cyphoma. 40feet max for 67 minutes.
4/14/06
#4 Barracuda Wall- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Reef with Steep Drop Off) Saw 3Nurse Sharks, Hawksbill Turtles again =), Found a juvenile Nurse shark hiding in the bottom of a large current warped barrel sponge- Awesome! Current was very fast and one diver got anxious and started to hyperventilate.Clouds of Thimble Jelly fish at safety stop.98 feet max for 47 minutes.Reef with no apparent damage noted. 98 feet for 47 minutes.
#5 San Juan- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Continuous Patch Reef) Fast current, Nice relaxing drift dive, large amounts of broken soft corals noted but new growth observed.65 feet max for 64 minutes.
4/15/06
#6 Punta Sur Diablo (Devil’s Throat)- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Deep Swim Thru) Eerie and dark, sand scouring noted and swim thru wider than previously clouds of Silversides, a Hawksbill Turtle swam with us at 50 feet, 3 Southern Rays. Great Dive! 119 feet max for 54 minutes.
#7 Punta Tunich-Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Large continuous reef with steep drop off to deep water) Eagle Ray! Large Rainbow Parrot fish, Huge schools of maxed out French Grunts, sponges everywhere, soft corals. A Gray Angel nipped at my hair! Queen Trigger fish, 2 Southern Rays on sand flats at safety stop. Perfecto! 70 feet max for 64 minutes.
4/16/06
#8 Santa Rosa Wall- Havier DM Blue XT Sea; (Dramatic Wall with steep drop off) Beautiful Reef is now heavily dusted in sand in places =(… Flooded my mask with tears, this was my favorite 1st dive site. Saw Eagle Ray and a Giant Puffer. 79 feet max for 62 minutes.
#9 Las Palmas- Havier DM Blue XT Sea; (Small isolated coral heads and sand flats) Sea Cucumber convention, found Arrow Crabs for fellow diver, watched a Queen Angel and a Rock Beauty taking turns eating a Jelly fish very cool! 73 feet max for 66 minutes.
#10 Wreck C 53/Chankanaab Bolones- Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers; Neat dive explored the interior of the wreck, Lace Coral formations noted on interior of wreck, saw a very large Eagle Ray with an impossibly long tail! Midnight Parrot fish, lots of juveniles and fry in the water. Great to see my friend Raul nick name, “Good Eyes” =). 70 feet max for 66 minutes.
4/17/06
#11 Playa Del Carmen Tortugas Turtle Dive- Havier DM Blue XT Sea; Christi’s special surprise =), (Low profile reef formations, lots of small brain coral, soft corals) Saw 21 Sea Turtles! One turtle was repeatedly scratching his back on an over hanging coral formation. 73 feet max for 51minutes.
#12 Playa Del Carmen Barracuda Reef- Havier DM Blue XT Sea; (Sand flats and coral ribbons) Rock Fish, Peacock Flounder, Brittle Stars, Flamingo Tongues, played with Rough Box Crab.46 feet max for 67 minutes.
#13 San Francisco Reef- Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers;(Coral Formations and Swim Thrus to steep Drop Off) Raul has the best eyes!
He showed me a juvenile golden colored Sea Horse =), Pregnant Lobster, Juvenile Pipe Fish, Rock Fish, a huge Nurse Shark totally unconcerned by us and a Green Moray that Raul said was a juvenile- Yah Right! I told him that the Nurse Shark was a juvenile too! 61 feet max for 72 minutes.
4/18/06
#14 Punta Sur Cathedral-Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Deep Swim Thru to Drop Off) Saw 2 Sea Turtles, 1 very large Barracuda, beautiful Eagle Ray moving slow and graceful. Awesome dive site, better than Devil’s Throat! 99 feet Max for 56 minutes.
#15 San Francisco Reef-Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (Coral Formations and Swim Thrus to steep Drop Off) Hawksbill Turtle, 2 different colored Golden Tail Moray eels. Pedro said there are 4 different colored Golden Tails in Coz…I’ve only seen 2
=(. Juvenile Spotted Trunk Fish too cool!
61 feet max for 72 minutes.
4/19/06
#16 Palancar Bricks- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (High profile Coral Pinnacles and Swim Thrus) Nurse Shark, Lobster, Turtle, Pipe Fish in Swim Thru, Golden Crinoids, Clouds of juvenile Blue Chromis. Reef is in decent condition.
81 feet max for 62 minutes.
#17 San Francisco Reef- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; Repeated dive site. Lots of critters. 79 feet max for 71 minutes.
#18 Las Palmas-Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers; Repeated site but as Night Dive. Better as a Night Dive! 2 juvenile Caribbean Octopi, lost count of the number of yellow rays I saw, 1 was only the size of my hand! Juvenile Slipper Lobster, tiny 2 inch Squid, fed some Tube Dwelling Anemones, Peacock Flounder, lots of Sponges, played with a Giant Puffer, Sharp Tailed Snake Eel, 2 Spotted Morays,Starry Eyed Hermit Crabs. Great Dive! 50 feet max 80 minutes.
4/20/06
#19 Columbia- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; (High Profile Coral Heads and Dramatic Swim Thrus) Saw Nurse Shark, several Barracuda, hurricane damage evident but not as severe as I had anticipated. 78 feet max for 61 minutes.
#20 Yucamentos- Pedro Pablo DM Blue XT Sea; New dive site for special mask recovery operation. Lost mask over side of boat on way to dive Tormentos. Pedro found my mask! (Good thing I had given him my red Tusa fins, he fell in love with, earlier this morning) =) Pedro took time to clean out a debris laden Barrel Sponge. Large adult Spotted Drum. 53 feet max for 66 minutes.
#21 Santa Rosa Shallows- Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers; Raul wanted to show me where the sand had been removed by Wilma baring the substrate of old reef that had been previously covered by sand. New coral formations can now grow here. The hurricane has killed the heart urchins in Coz =( …I just learned how to find them a year ago. Very quiet and peaceful here.48 feet max for 71 minutes.
4/22/06
#22 Punta Sur Cathedral -Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers; Repeated dive site because I like it a lot =). Cloud of Creole Wrasse. 102 feet max for 51 minutes.
#23 La Francesa- Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers; (Low profile coral formation with lots of swim thrus) Wow, nice site! Raul said the hurricane actually made this site better and opened upsome more swim thrus. Full of marine life here, I think I saw at least one of everything except an Eagle Ray.
#24 Palancar Caves- Christi owner of Blue XT Sea; (High profile Coral Pinnacles, Reef and Swim Thrus) Christi took macro shots of 2 juvenile pipefish she found together! Minimal Hurricane damage noted. Soft Corals, Sponges and Hard Corals very healthy, lots of juvenile everything. Lots of marine life. 82 feet max for 60 minutes.
#25 Yucab- Christi owner of Blue XT Sea; Out of NDL time
=(. No problemo, Christi gave me a much appreciated 1 :1 SupervisedNitrox Resort Course dive as a special favor so I could make the dive. OMG my favorite second dive site is covered in a thick layer of sand =(… it was hit the absolute worst by Wilma but still there’s a lot of life there. Incredibly there are Social Feather Dusters, Anemone infested with Shrimp, Southern Rays, Huge Lobster, Golden
Tail Moray, Yellow Rays, Juvenile Queen Angel. 52 feet max for 54 minutes.
4/23/06
#26 Palancar Bricks- Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers; Repeated dive site, see above. 75 feet max for 72 minutes.
#27 La Francesa-Raul Platas- Owner and DM Bottom Time Divers; Repeated dive site, see above. Saw dolphins playing on way back to dock, Raul told me that when you see dolphins here it means stormy weather is coming in a couple of days.59 feet max for 73 minutes.

End of report I’ll be back in Cozumel it’s obvious to me there’s still Great Diving there!!!

Funny. I probably seen you there. My wife and I were at Hotel Cozumel and resort from 4/15-4/24. We stayed in room 1119. Might have seen you there. I dove with Dive Paradise and dove with a guy from Michigan. Older fellow, name was Jim. Had a great time. Was my 8th trip to Cozumel. Scott.

Outstanding trip report! Can't wait for...um... December. (still hoping to sneak in a quickie before then)
Craig-

Fish_Whisperer:
Wow!! Fantastic trip report!! Welcome home... :)
While we were in Cozumel, we had briefly talked about going to Bonaire, for our next trip. Today, talking with my dive buddy, he said exactly what I was thinking: "Screw that... Let's go back to Cozumel!" LOL

Frank, let me know when you plan on returning to Coz I might just give you another chance to go on that night dive you missed!!! Did you ever figure out that Hotel Cozumel and Resort is North of Casa Del Mar? Hard to miss on your way to town and all the taxi drivers know where it is:05:
Loretta

stangscuba98a:
Funny. I probably seen you there. My wife and I were at Hotel Cozumel and resort from 4/15-4/24. We stayed in room 1119. Might have seen you there. I dove with Dive Paradise and dove with a guy from Michigan. Older fellow, name was Jim. Had a great time. Was my 8th trip to Cozumel. Scott.
Damn Scott! I was in 1110 well at least when I wasn't in the water or out looking for food :D I did get in over 28 hours of bottom time and made the time fly! I had thought of posting a sign on my door for scubaboarders...there's always next time:05:
Loretta

ckofabq:
Outstanding trip report! Can't wait for...um... December. (still hoping to sneak in a quickie before then)
Craig-
Thanks Craig, I may be going back in December too! But I'm hoping I can also get there sometime this summer =).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom