Cozumel looking for best dive shop during june2-9 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparky99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have 5 divers first run to Cozumel. Staying at villa grace hoping to find dive shop that will pick us up

Wow, dangerous question. (Everyone has their favorite and will defend it like a mother bear protecting her cubs) I can predict the future and your about to hear lots of Aldora, Blue XTSea, Dive with Martin, Tres Pelicanos, Blue Angel, and my personal favorite, Blue Magic. Not sure where Villa Grace is or if they have their own pier, but if they are south of town, most shops will pick you up at a hotel pier if the hotel will allow it. Some charge a fee.

Cabs are cheap in Coz, so you may need to take a cab to the shop for departure or to Caletta Marina far south of town where most operators that don't have their own pier leave from.

Email your choices of dive shops and see if they can accommodate your request. The main differences will be tanks with the standard being aluminum 80's with an up charge for al100's. Aldora does steel 120's I believe. Most will utilize 6 pack boats with less than 8 divers, beware of the cattle boats. The other difference will be where they do a surface interval, boat, beach, or club.

If if you are bringing your own equipment, ask for "valet" service for your equipment so the operator will store, rinse, and haul your gear during your stay. Some charge, some don't.

You can't swing a dead cat in Coz and not hit a dive operator and except for the cattle boats, you almost never hear a bad report. Some of the ops that are run by the cruiselines have had some bad reports.

Christi (Blue XTSea) and Dave (Aldora) are frequent contributors to this board and run excellent operations. They can give you almost immediate, firsthand, and up to date knowledge on Coz so they deserve a chance for your business. All of the operators will accommodate reasonable requests that I have found.

good luck and safe travels, please post a trip report on your return. Eat the scallops at Guidos and drink lots of Bohemi Obscura for me!! I'm landlocked for a couple of months.

Jay

I hadn't heard of the place so I googled it. It looks nice but it is REALLY, REALLY far north. I don't think you will find any OP's that will pick you up there.

Last edited:
Have 5 divers first run to Cozumel. Staying at villa grace hoping to find dive shop that will pick us up

Hi sparky - nice place :) This house is in Country club Estates at the far north end of the island. The reefs are literally at the other end of the island - this is quite a trek for ANY boat to come pick you up.

My shop (Blue XT~Sea) and a few others such as Aldora & Deep Blue depart from the downtown pier - that will be your closest point to meet a dive boat. You may consider renting a car.

I have been diving Coz for years and have tried several operators. Hands down, Blue XT Sea Diving provides the best experience and service. The owner, Christi, is remarkable and does everything she can to make each dive experience a memorable one. Her divemasters, Pedro and Arturo are top notch and know the reefs like the back of their hands. They always point out things I would otherwise miss. The boat is fast....brand new engines, comfortable and clean (even has a solar shower!), the Captain, Nivo is a total professional. I would never dream of using anybody else. They even manage and clean gear! Unbelievable service!

Blue Xt Sea Diving | Cozumel's # 1 Source for All Your Scuba Diving!

Have a great trip, and safe diving!!

With 5 divers, you might ask about chartering your own private panga boat, as the price will be about the same as 5 individuals booking. That far north, you'll need to find a van taxi who is willing to meet you same time, every day - which should be easy enough and cheap split 5 ways, or a rental van - but shop your prices carefully and do take the full insurance regardless of what coverage you may have. Running a boat that far would be too expensive and a long boat ride to boot.

It'd be a good idea to hire an extra DM the first day to help you guys get accustomed to local diving.

Aldora picks up our divers at the Villa Aldora which is north of town and a less expensive taxi ride than to downtown, or if you have a car (not a bad idea from where you will be staying0 the Villa has free and safe parking.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Back
Top Bottom