PVC Gear Hanger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like 2 find out if there R any plans or how 2's on making a gear dryer. I would like 2 put my wet suit and BCC on a rack of some sort and let dry outside on PVC self standing rack?

Hey KCIREVAM:

I made my equipment hangar out of 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe. I bought three 10 feet sections and just cut them myself.

The cut parts list:
  1. 2 each 72 inch vertical tubes
  2. 2 each 36 inch horizontal tubes
  3. 4 each 24 inch feet
  4. 2 each 2 inch tee connectors
So, that's (72*2)+(36*2)+(24*4)+(2*2)=27 feet of PVC (rounded up). Three 10 feet pieces should do.

You will also need:
  1. 4 each 1 1/4 inch caps (if you want- not necessary) for feet caps
  2. 2 each 90 degree elbows, 1 1/4 inch
  3. 4 each 1 1/4 inch tees

Construction is pretty straight forward. The only tools needed are a saw (armstrong or power), measuring tape/ metre stick, and maybe a file to debur everything. Assembly is simple as well; everything is press fitted together, no glue.

The hangars are Underwater Kinetics and they are pretty handy. I can't hang ALL of my gear, but fins, mask, knife, sit nicely on the deck after being rinsed.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

[url=http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/126629]
UK_Hangars.JPG
[/url]

Last edited:
I did something similar to MTS0268, except I added two uprights that I slip the legs over. They extend about two feet up inside of the wetsuit, I have a lot of holes drilled in them and I have a small fan out of a furnace that moves a lot of air. I pinch of the neck to prevent the forced air from escaping that direction.

I set it up in my garage, so it is out of the direct sun, when I turn on the fan, it will actually cause the arms to extend. the process drys the suit really really fast. I do the same thing for my dry suit, I just turn it upside down and run the tubes up in through the neck.

I have a length of 2" with tee's off it every foot running down the wall in the basement. I put all the boots, gloves, and hoods to dry. Also used a furnace exhaust blower.

Drying out boots fast is the only way to keep that offensive stench from taking over your scuba closet.

My husband built this after he got tired of listening to me gripe about how the scuba gear was taking over the garage. It took 2 weekends to build and set us back about $150. It's made using 1 1/2" PVC for the body and 1" for the hangers and pegs. The bottom rack is one of those PVC coated Closetmaid wire shelves. Great for drying weights. Plenty of pegs to hang masks, fins, bags, ect... At the end of the rack we have a set of plastic shelves with crates and baskets for the little stuff once it's dry. Rinsing is a snap since we don't have to figure out where to hang things. We keep a fan going 24/7 to help dry things out and to keep the heat down in the garage since we can't store our gear in the house.

Attachments

• IMGP0410.jpg
    IMGP0410.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMGP0408.jpg
    IMGP0408.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMGP0412.jpg
    IMGP0412.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMGP0414.jpg
    IMGP0414.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 268
  • P3260578.jpg
    P3260578.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 329
  • IMGP0415.jpg
    IMGP0415.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 269
My husband built this after he got tired of listening to me gripe about how the scuba gear was taking over the garage. It took 2 weekends to build and set us back about $150. It's made using 1 1/2" PVC for the body and 1" for the hangers and pegs. The bottom rack is one of those PVC coated Closetmaid wire shelves. Great for drying weights. Plenty of pegs to hang masks, fins, bags, ect... At the end of the rack we have a set of plastic shelves with crates and baskets for the little stuff once it's dry. Rinsing is a snap since we don't have to figure out where to hang things. We keep a fan going 24/7 to help dry things out and to keep the heat down in the garage since we can't store our gear in the house.

Hi Jayde323:

That looks like an erector set on steroids! It is quite extravagant though. Nice work!

We are able to keep our gear in the house so everything gets dried on the porch then moves inside. There's 4 of us so lots of boots and gloves. If we go off I carry the pvc hanger with me and just lean it against a wall. As far as stinch in the boots my wife puts them in the front load washing machine and it works great, no additional wear or damage.

Attachments

• dryrack 001.jpg
    dryrack 001.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 266
  • dryrack 002.jpg
    dryrack 002.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 309
We are able to keep our gear in the house so everything gets dried on the porch then moves inside. There's 4 of us so lots of boots and gloves. If we go off I carry the pvc hanger with me and just lean it against a wall. As far as stinch in the boots my wife puts them in the front load washing machine and it works great, no additional wear or damage.

Hey Jim:

That looks very space efficient and it also seems to me to have a Jewish theme going on. Nothing bad. :)

Kind regards,
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom