Help with water temps around Caribbean in the fall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I get cold quickly, don't enjoy cold waters. Love water higher than 85F, anything lower than 75F stresses me out.

It seems my vacation will be pushed, perhaps, from October to November. I have not been anywhere in around the Caribbean, especially this late in the fall. Really wanted to take a vacation this August but work needs me now.

Is water anywhere there still around 80-85 in November or is it too late? Will a shorty do or do I need a full 3mm or maybe 5mm (need to start shopping)? Where should I go for higher temperatures?

Please help as I have not been around and this is my first year diving. Thanks.

Here in Belize the water starts cooling down during November. That is usually the transition time for me from a 3 mm full suit to a two piece 3 mm open cell. It has farmer john pants so I have 6 mm on my core and a hood. It's probably about as warm as most 5mm closed cell, one piece suits.

In the Dominican Republic the water is typically between 78 and 84 degrees all year round. In the fall you can expect the water to be around 80 A shorty should be all you need although a 3mm full wetsuit should make you very comfortable and prevent you from getting cold at all! Good Luck!!

Let's see... according to my dive log:

November 2010 -- Nassau 81f
February 2011 -- Cozumel 81f
February 2011 -- Fort Lauderdale 70f (never again!!! :D)
March 2011 -- Cozumel 81f

And that's pretty much the sampling I have for fall and winter in the Caribbean.

I don't think Bonaire drops much below the low 80's.

Another option might be the BVI's - it's shallower diving mostly so may stay warmer. They are closer to the Atlantic though.

I live in the Virgin Islands where we locals get cold easily too--yeah, yeah, we are warm water wimps and proud of it. I dove today and the temp was 82 degrees. I was fine in my 3mm suit.

Temps in October and November will be in the 80's. You will probably be fine in a 3mm with a reef shirt underneath. If you really get cold, you could bring along a vest to wear under the 3mm.

When you describe temperatures, I guess these are surface temps, right? So, at 80' it will be 5-10F lower?

When you describe temperatures, I guess these are surface temps, right? So, at 80' it will be 5-10F lower?
No, it doesn't change that much. Some areas like Cayman, Turks/Caicos or the Bahamas where there's deep walls just offshore you'll often get a colder upwelling.

Scuba Diving in the British Virgin Islands, Caribbean
Water temperature:
26°C (79°F) in January to 29°C (84°F) in July

Suit:
3mm wetsuit

Visibility:
30 - 40 metres (100 - 130 feet)

Type of diving:
Reefs, pinnacles, wrecks

Marine life:
Sharks, hawksbill turtles, manta rays, eagle rays, jacks, barracuda, moray eels, grunts, trumpet fish, angelfish

When to go:
Diving is available all year, but it may be advisable to go between the end of October and the beginning of July to avoid the hurricane season. Air temperatures range from 22°C (72°F) in winter to 28°C (82°F) in summer

Bonaire Dive & Adventure lists this:

What is the water temperature?
The temperature will vary from winter to summer:
Winter months (approx. December-March): 78-80 degrees F. / 25-26 degrees C.
Summer months (approx. April-November): 81- 84 degrees F. / 27-29 degrees C.

I've dove most of the better dive locations in the Caribbean in the last decade and I don't even own a wetsuit.

I hate being cold. However, to some extent you might jbe better off just altering your gear slightly and dress for the conditions rather than searching for conditions you like. Will create many more dive ops. Did I mention- I too hate being cold. Best recipe I have found for carry on gear for semi warm ( 78-84) water diving:
3mm full
vest under 3mm
boot socks

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom