Howdy from the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CebuCarl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Howdy yall! I'm an expat here in Cebu, Philippines, via Houston, TX.

I'm new to SCUBA, don't know the first thing about it but thinking I might like to give it a try.

I was thinking about maybe getting OW certified, but after contacting a diveshop and being quoted a price of PP 22,000+12%VAT, I don't know. Does that price sound fair to you guys?

Either way, just wanted to say Hi and get my feet wet, so to speak. :)

CC

US$500 or so isn't the most expensive OW course, but that does sound on the up-side for Cebu. Head over to Mactan and drive down the coastal road- there are a few dive shops around and you best bet is to go in, have a chat with some people and go with the shop that 'feels right'. Maribago has the most shops in the same area I think.

The dive shops run out of the resorts like Shangri La (Scotty's), Hilton etc tend to be the most expensive... and not neccessarily the best, but may have newer equipment and better boats. The best btw is down to the relationship you'll have with the instructor. Thus try to talk to some people but don't get sucked in by people who brag or sound in any way egotistical about diving. That kind of instruction, you really don't want.

Jens Hoffman (Facebook him) works out of Marigondon I believe- well he did... I used to share a beer with him every so often. I only did a couple of dives with him, and never saw him teach so I can't exactly vouch for him, but he's a nice enough guy.

Good luck and welcome to the board

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom