Hello from Tucson, AZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LottaBeachNoOcean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!
I've been here, mostly lurking, for a few weeks now. PADI OW certified in 2005 I didn't dive again until last summer.

I'm sure that the boards and veteran divers here will prove an invaluable resource. I want to thank all of you who take the time to provide your insights and relate your experiences. I've learned a lot already - stuff that would have been a pretty tough school of hard knocks if I'd had to learn it all first hand. I've especially enjoyed the "What If..." series in the Beginners forum.

Wish I'd found this resource when I was first certified. I might not have taken that 7 year dry dock. Thanks for being.

Welcome aboard. My mom now lives in Tucson. Next visit, I'd like to maybe dive. You have any good sites around there?

Hi icechip... nope, not any diving near Tucson. The nearest location is Lake Pleasant, NW of Phoenix and I've heard that's not very good - I've never dived it. The LDSs use it for open water certs for military personnel that can't or won't go into Mexico but that's about it, unless you're from the Phoenix area, in which case I'd guess any diving is better than no diving. There are great sites within about 8 hours by car in Mexico - requires a passport. PM me if you want more info.

How's the diving in Maine? I have a sister in Portland and have thought I'd like to dive there the next time I go... perhaps next summer. How heavy a wetsuit is recommended for August diving?

Welcome! I have family in Tucson and love visiting, usually a couple times a year. A couple diver friends live there as well. I was considering moving there myself but then I took up diving and while I struggle with hating the cold, I can't give up the one hour access to Monterey now! Love the hiking in Tucson when I am there!

There's some decent sites up at the lake! The shops only dive one little cove with nothing in it, so you need to go independently. Check this site out for some info on dive sites (minus scorpion bay, which is now a marina).

Also, check out the regional forum here, lots of us AZ guys in there.

If you're interested in getting wet, I'm planning on hitting up the lake this weekend and could use a rider.

There's also: Arizona Scuba

Welcome to SCUBAboard & back to diving.

The ocean is only a plane flight away.

LottaBeachNoOcean:

Welcome back to diving, and to ScubaBoard! I am in Tucson as well. The nearest decent diving to Tucson is at Lake Pleasant (Northwest of Phoenix). Shoot me an email, and we can set up a trip to Pleasant!

Adam

grosenavmars@gmail.com

Some of us that live in Tucson can't go to Mexico due to our jobs but Lake Pleasant is a good place to dive, like Pocky21 said you just have to get out and explore the lake. If you want to go diving I'm sure Pocky21, Adam and my self would be more then happy to show you around. I have dove with both this guys and had a great time
Good Luck and Welcome Back

Maine has some great diving. Here is a site that is helpful. SCUBA Knowtes
Let me know if you are ever in-state.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2013 at 11:27 AM ----------

To answer your question,
For ocean in August I go with a farmer john Henderson and step-in.
7mm hood, booties and gloves.
Not really as bad/cold as one might think.
Portland and area has some good dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom