First Cold Water Dive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicdiver656

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all! First dive in cold water! Here's a writeup...

DIVE NO. 14 (First cold water dive) at Henderson Point with Dad, Guy Shockey, and Ben as buddies

Today I learned about the pressure factor of a wetsuit at different depths, and Guy made sure that our rigs were adjusted to our bodies. Using compression shorts under the wetsuit worked perfectly. Guy also told us about tank factors (taking your Surface Air Consumption and multiplying it by your PSI to figure out how many cubic feet of air you have left, or have consumed). Dad had a bit of a struggle getting into his drysuit. Once we got into the water, I was not at all bothered by the coldness of the water (54 degrees at 69 feet). My 7mm. 2-piece wetsuit fit perfectly. We did not practice any skills or techniques on this dive, but just, as Guy said, got a feel for the water. At the end of the dive Guy reduced my lead weight from 15lbs down to 10, which still worked. Guy decided that I would need 2 two pound weights on my harness, and 2 three pound weights on my cam bands, and that should work for the cold water. We saw three huge octopuses!! We also visited a 25-foot boat that had been sunk there while we were away. There were tons of crabs, which prompted me to get my fishing license so I can pick a few up ever dive! Ben, a NCD (Navy Clearance Diver) was a great help underwater, making sure to keep with us…until Guy passed him the scooter, which he enjoyed immensely! I think his comment after the dive was, “Have scooter? Will travel!!” This dive was a great dive, and Guy was pleasantly surprised with how well we did for having no recorded dives in three-quarters of a year! I look forward to diving again with Guy!!

Major notes: I only need 12 lbs. of weight now, and I need to make sure that the edges of my mask are kept under my wetsuit hood. We also need to stay closer to our buddies than we were today, as the visibility is only 20 or so feet (rough estimation) where we were diving. Taking a compass reading of our entry point for the dive was a great idea, and I was able to return to the exit point for our dive with no problems, based on that reading.
Contrary to my concern, my wetsuit boots fit XS Scuba Turtle Fins perfectly, and I need to go to Wilson’s Diving to pick up a pair.

so, a great first dive in Canadian waters!!!

Congrats, Vicdiver, and thanks for the detailed debrief. Saanich is nice, yes? I'm partial to the artificial reefs of Nanaimo myself, but everything along that coast is sweet. Your weighting requirements sound awesome--what tank(s) are you using?

-Bryan

PS. that tagline about unexploded goats sounds very familiar . . .

Congrats, Vicdiver, and thanks for the detailed debrief. Saanich is nice, yes? I'm partial to the artificial reefs of Nanaimo myself, but everything along that coast is sweet. Your weighting requirements sound awesome--what tank(s) are you using?

-Bryan

PS. that tagline about unexploded goats sounds very familiar . . .

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Yep, I was talking to Ben yesterday (the NCD) and he said they didn't use goats for their experiments....animal rights groups must have got to them first :wink:

I'm using HP steel 100s. Yep the Saanich Inlet is very nice. I was really surprised that I was able to handle the cold water. So I think I'll be able to hold off on the drysuit for a good long while. I do want to go up to Nanaimo, apparently there's a 737 sunk up there?? But, for the time being, I'm just getting used to the cold water!

Back
Top Bottom