NJ Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Guys,

I am heading out for my first NJ wreck dive. So far I have about 20 dives logged, and have spend a good amount of time working on my skills at Dutch Springs, as well as a few shallow shore dives.

My buddy has done a bunch of dives, mostly in blue water, and has outfitted herself with NJ wreck gear.

I have all of my regular gear (7mm exposure suit, bp&w, steel 100), plus my pony (slung), safety sausage, and wreck reel. I carry a folding a snorkel, backup mask, compass, slate, knife, shears, extra table, and I wear a dive computer.

Any last minute tips for me? Is it a good idea to tie into the wreck near the anchor line? I'm sure I'll get lots of info during the dive brief, but I have a few days to ponder.

Anything?

-BC

I hope that you are advanced open water cert.-most captains require that. Plus you got to remember diving in Dutch with perfect conditions is a lot different to Atlantic currents- it is a good idea to ask crew for as much:blinking::( guidance as possible.

I hope that you are advanced open water cert.-most captains require that. Plus you got to remember diving in Dutch with perfect conditions is a lot different to Atlantic currents- it is a good idea to ask crew for as much:blinking::( guidance as possible.

No, not all boats require it. I know that it's different, just looking for good tips.

I would highly recommend taking a Wreck Diver course with your dive shop. Outside of that, don't be afraid to run a reel from close to the anchor line. You might not see the other divers doing so, but that might be because of their familiarity with the site.

BC and Buddy, Have you done night dives before? You are going to need Flashlights. My first dive on the Arundo was pitch black below 60ft. Conditions vary from great visibility to two foot visibility. I'm curious...Which wreck will you be diving and off which boat?

This site will give you information on local sites. Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Dive Sites - Introduction

Tie in near the anchor line, not to it. Here is a video for line work. SCUBA: Guide Line Technique (1 of 2) on Vimeo

I do suggest taking a wreck course locally. I personally recommend the The Scuba Connection.

Say safe!

Hey Guys,

I am heading out for my first NJ wreck dive. So far I have about 20 dives logged, and have spend a good amount of time working on my skills at Dutch Springs, as well as a few shallow shore dives.

My buddy has done a bunch of dives, mostly in blue water, and has outfitted herself with NJ wreck gear.

I have all of my regular gear (7mm exposure suit, bp&w, steel 100), plus my pony (slung), safety sausage, and wreck reel. I carry a folding a snorkel, backup mask, compass, slate, knife, shears, extra table, and I wear a dive computer.

Any last minute tips for me? Is it a good idea to tie into the wreck near the anchor line? I'm sure I'll get lots of info during the dive brief, but I have a few days to ponder.

Anything?

-BC

I currently crew with a NJ boat so I should say I am pretty happy you are posting this.

1) It sounds as if you are nicely prepared. I would always add a bag for the more experienced divers since you can never know what you may find/catch. At some point, you'll need to decide what kind of wreck diver you are (artifact, spear, bug, photo, tour).
2) check the tide and weather before the date. It's always nice to be prepared for the waves with bonine or some other seasickness remedy.
3) Check on the boards for news about your particular area/site. I was out last weekend off PP and can tell you the temp and viz. Some other divers could have gone to the exact wreck you are planning and can tell you overall conditions.
4) Do your homework. Find a map of the dive site online and study it. Ask the captain/crew exactly where you will be tied in and detail a plan BEFORE getting into the water. Know your visual references beforehand.
5) No Light? get one and bring one. Actually, bring two (primary and backup)
6) Be courteous and listen to the crew/captain when you get on board. Bring snacks if you feel like it.
7) Be prepared to tip. I know I may get flamed for it but I crew on a boat and I appreciate the passengers tipping for my service which includes my preparation for their safety. $20 is a good tip on a typical NJ boat trip.

Anything else, PM me for more info.

I love the NJ Wreck Diving but it is very different. Should be comfortable with buoyancy, reel use and SMB/Lift Bag deployment. Lights are helpful for looking in holes and you never know what conditions you will get, so if it is a dark dive, then you are prepared as well. It's one think to put yourself through skills, it's totally different when you are taking a quality class and being asset / task loaded by an instructor.

Here is the Wreck Diver Course that ddmattos was referring to.

Have fun and dive safely.

Seasickness is not to be taken lightly. Go prepared.

Doubt that you will be on an inshore wreck that can be penetrated. Almost nothing new down there since radar, most (but not all) resemble collapsed piles of rubble. The exceptions to that are the reefed ships. Some, like the Algol, can be spectacular. Have fun!

My only piece of advice is to not even think about penetrating a wreck without proper training.

Take this to heart! You don't need a reel at this point in your diving. with 20 dives I'm sure you are comfortable paddling around the springs, but the ocean is completely different! Pay attention to the current and where the boat is tied into the wreck. Be content to swim around the outside of the wreck.

Back
Top Bottom