What if I wanted to work on my regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have often read comments from others to the effect of "learn to service your regs yourself."

Okay, If I wanted to service my own regulators and those of my immediate family, (Atomic, Mares and Oceanic at this time), what kind of training class would I need, and where would I get the training? What kinds of tools and parts would I likely need to get and where does one buy tools and parts and what kind of investment in such things am I looking at?

I already have a job and have no interest in doing this for a job, even part time. I am just wondering what kind of money and time investment would be involved in being able to service my own and my family's regs and if it is even practical.

Please factor into this that I am not an instructor or DM, don't work in a dive shop and am not likely to do so. Where I live, I doubt any local shop would assist me in obtaining the skills, parts or tools necessary for this.

Thanks for any assistance.

Servicing your own regulator:

Hello JD, below is my cut and paste advice to this question as it come up often. One thing I would suggest in addition to the junk below, would be to standardize your gear so you can cut down on the amount of tool and parts required to do your own servicing.

c

Welcome to the DIY club. The first thing is to start off with a service manual or two. Both service manuals usually discussed here are great; Vance Harlow's "SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair"
<http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html>
and the Scuba Tools book, "Regulator Savvy"
<http://www.scubatools.com/> are well worth the money.
I own both and recommend getting one of each. If you are dead set on getting only one, then Vance's is a little more suitable for the DIY guy while the ScubaTools book is more suitable for the shop worker. ScubaTools has some pretty handy tools too, so if you order from there pay a few extra bucks and get the bullets, spanners, and regulator specific tools that you need with your first order and save on shipping. Get a few old regulators like the ones you will be servicing from eBay or Craig's list and practice. After just one or two seasons of servicing your own gear, you will have recovered your investment.

Here are a couple of websites with tons of regulator specific manuals:
Regulator manuals <http://www.juhahaanpera.com/regulatormanual.htm>
<http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/>
http://www.atlantisdiveclub.com/mainmovies/gb_manuals.html

Good luck,

Couv

Hi jd950,

I followed the path couv recommends in his post above.

If you have basic mechanical skills, working on your own regulators is easy, and a very worthwhile skill to acquire.

The "regular suspects" here in the regulator and DIY sections of scubaboard are a great group of folks, who are really generous with their knowledge and can probably answer most any questions that come up regarding regulator repair/service.

As mentioned, there is an initial investment in tools.... I think I probably spent about $300 total (but already had many of the "common" tools needed). I maintain my families regulators, which at this point is eight sets.

Finding parts for most brands is not as hard as it seems, but can sometimes take some searching. I've been able to obtain Mares rebuild kits easily. I believe Mares, Atomic and Oceanic kits can be obtained from Scubatoys.

Best wishes.

Working on your on regs? yer gonna die.

Now that the standard disclaimer has been presented the above info is probably what most all DIY reg techs utilize. Vance's and Pete's books along with the mfg manuals.

As for tools. There is probably one on required dive specific tool and that is an IP gauge. Most of the other tools are nice to have but certainly not required. That said having the reg specific tools does help in ensuring you are doing a proper job not to mention making it easier. Of course for the home reg bench only having one specific brand of regs also helps. All of mine except one are from the same mfg. The odd one is for dry land only - ie it is the reg used for filling tires and other projects around the house.

There are some course offered to the general public but most mfg courses are for shop employees only.

As for a shop helping you out. Two of my local shops are more than willing to help out and even trouble shoot. In return I give them my business for other things.

That's a lot of brands to start with, and possibly a mix of piston and diaphragm regs. Do you know what models you have?

I'd suggest you get Harlow's book as couv said above, and spend a few days reading it cover to cover. Then concentrate on one brand to start with, download its service manual, or at least a schematic, and go through scubatools' site to order tools. You'll need at least a hook/pin spanner to remove the body, and a face spanner for the bottom, assuming you want to do the Atomic first. Then you'll want a bullet tool, some o-ring picks, an IP gauge, and some lubricant. There goes a hundred bucks, at least.

Also worth looking at is Apeks' presentation, even if you don't own any; it gives you a visual step by step that's easier to understand than a litteral description.

You might have a little trouble getting atomic parts, but the mares and oceanic should be easy to find. In addition to the good advice already given, I'd suggest you find someone in your area that can show you a few things. I am a graduate of the awap school of regulator repair in central tx, in fact I'm thinking about starting an alumni association. I don't know how we'll else we'll get that football program going.

How available are Scubapro parts and the "Scubatool".\? they seem pretty restrictive on who can get this.

I have both Wolfinger's Reg Savvy book from Scubatools, and Vance Harlow's book. They're both very good, although the latter is more 'practical'

How available are Scubapro parts and the "Scubatool".\? they seem pretty restrictive on who can get this.

Scubapro Multi-Tool, Brass Chrome

Parts are easy too

Back
Top Bottom