I did something stupid today, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I received 2 DIN regulators for my double setup. I decided to test them out by hooking them up to a tank. First was MK20/s600, everything went OK, I breathed the S600. Then MK25, it has only SPG connected but no 2nd stage. I hooked it up, turned on valve, SPG display pressure. OK, great, so I turned off the valve, then I realized I can't unscrew the DIN because of the pressure. And I have no way to release the pressure. What can I do? Do I wait a couple of day for the air to leak out?

I would be worried if it leaked out in a couple of days. Lossen the SPG at the 1st stage and let it bleed down slowly. Lossening one od the poets could tuen it into a projectile. Exam the packing (o-ring) when you are done, change if needed.

Just tried it. No prob. CAREFULLY loosen one of the LOW PRESSURE port plugs (on the bottom part that swivels).

Legal Disclaimer:
If you attempt to do this yourself, you will die.

I would be worried if it leaked out in a couple of days. Lossen the SPG at the 1st stage and let it bleed down slowly. Lossening one od the poets could tuen it into a projectile. Exam the packing (o-ring) when you are done, change if needed.

and the same could be said for your selection, resulting in a damaged SPG....:coffee:

No matter what you unscrew to bleed air off, do NOT stand in front of it when unscrewing it. And I personally agree that you should choose a LP plug rather than the SPG. Just in case.

I know the problem is already rectified but I would like to add. Only unscrew the plug until the o-ring unseats then the pressure will drop and not cause the plug to become a projectile.

Just get yerself a big ole pair of honking vise grips or a pipe wrench and use them to turn that friking DIN thumb wheel. That sucker will loosen up like a greased pig. Don't worry about marring it as that will just break it in faster so you won't look like a knob when you splash the next time.

If you are too cheap to buy a wrench loosen one of the plugs - it really does not matter if it is LP or HP. There more than enough threads to hold it in. Remember folks use DIN plugs on valves and they have greater surface area and are under just as much pressure as the HP ports. Typically a full turn is enough to release the pressure.

Thanks guys.

I picked the LP port method. I used a big tower covering the 1st stage & tank, reached my hand inside and loosed one of the LP ports. It took some force, and once it came loose, it made a big "pop" sound. I think the o-ring needs replacement, but other than that, no damage was done.

SP Din wheel (plastic) is not like Atomic Din wheel (metal), I was concerned that using vise grip on it will break the it. Anyway, problem solved. Thank you, everyone

Back
Top Bottom