Atomic or Zeagle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesanywhere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at getting a new reg set. Trying to decide if paying a couple hundred more for an Atomic, which has a longer service interval than a Zeagle, is worth it. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the differences in metals, etc. but as far as I can tell I probably would not mind those differences. I tend to dive not too cold and a max about 130'. Probably will never get into teck diving. Does the Atomic have a longer interval but more expensive to service? And do you actually stick closely to the guidelines? Thanks for any opinions or input!

I love both brands. I dive Zeagle BCs. The customer service, the product, and the fact that they are made in the USA all make them top notch IMO. As a caveat, I have never dove a Zeagle reg, but I have an Atomic reg with 200+ dives on it that's only a year old, and have owned 6 other regs in my life. I wouldn't trade my Atomic reg for anything else. I don't plan on ever diving with anything else. But then I wouldn't trade my Ranger LTD for anything else either. Like most things in SCUBA, fit and comfort should be your driving factors, but if you do go with Atomic, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Looking at getting a new reg set. Trying to decide if paying a couple hundred more for an Atomic, which has a longer service interval than a Zeagle, is worth it. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the differences in metals, etc. but as far as I can tell I probably would not mind those differences. I tend to dive not too cold and a max about 130'. Probably will never get into teck diving. Does the Atomic have a longer interval but more expensive to service? And do you actually stick closely to the guidelines? Thanks for any opinions or input!

Was it Bill Murray in Ghost Busters who famously said: "It is more of a guideline than a rule...." (referring to not getting romantically involved with clients)?

If you want to maintain your "free parts" service warranty, you'll need to get your reg serviced at the interval specified that particular brand, and keep your receipts.

Atomic makes wonderful regs, that only require servicing every two years... Because??? Atomic will say because of superior design and materials.... cough... but I think the reality is that like most other regs, a two year interval is actually fine, assuming the reg is being taken care of properly and inspected regularly??

FYI: I'm not recommending not getting your regulator serviced when it needs it, just using common sense regarding mandatory service intervals (they are guidelines, ask Bill Murray to explain).

FYI(2): I own two Zeagle Flathead VI's. It has been about 3 years for one 1st stage and >5 years for the other since I serviced them (and both still perform flawlessly); and I just serviced one of the 2nd's at about the 2.5 year mark.... the other is approaching 2 years. I will probably overhaul the >5 year 1st stage after I dive it this weekend... or maybe not....

To answer your original question, either reg set will make you very happy. Don't pick based on the service interval alone.... pick on how YOU like them, if you are able to test them out that is.

Best wishes.

Ive had Atomics regs for years. Very dependable. That being said, Zeagle makes some good ones too. My LDS services Zeagle inhouse, but sends the Atomics out. Not a big deal I guess but just another thing to consider. Ill even go over 2 years on servicing myself since I dive redundant 1sts as well as 2nds. If they start hissing though then they gotta go. O rings do deteriate with time and most peopledont mess around but I dove with one guy a while back who said his regs hadnt been serviced for about 9 years and they still worked fine. I dont condone this BTW but I sure didnt think that was possible and I watched him pretty close as well.:no:

Service parts kits are free to orrigional owners of Zeagle regulators. Owner pays the cost of labor for the service work.
Atomic service parts are not provided, but the 2 year service interval recomendation levels the playing field as the owner pays for both the service and the parts.
The problems most often mentioned at service time with the Atomic is a high frequency whistle or squeal noise coming from the 1st stage, and weeping Cristolube out of the the 1st stage on sealed spring chamber models. Zeagle is a diaphram design and doesn't suffer either of these issues.
Zeagle's biggest complaints are the mouthpiece and the cheap plastic purge cover cracking prematurely.
Both are EXCELLENT stable regulators that stay in tune well and deliver great performance even at stupid depth.
Most performance related issues I see on the service bench with either brand are caused by improper care by the owner.
The AFC device on the Atomic allows the 2nd stage to resist free flow. It's like a finger cot that sticks into the air tube and as the diver decends the air volume in the cot decreases and it withdraws from the air flow, decreasing wob as the diver decends.
The Zeagle uses a rotating Dive/Pre Dive lever to redirect air flow from the valve to the bottom of the diaphram and stops the venturi effect. Common feature to many brands. Advantage Atomic.
At depth I don't think a blacked out diver would be able to say that one breathes "better" than the other. They are very similar. A flow bench could pick a winner according to the state of tune, but divers are not flow bench equilivent certified.
The Atomic swivel hose is a thing of beauty and should be added to anybody's regulator if you find the hose pulling on the mouthpiece.

I have a Zeagle regulator (Flathead IV), and my buddy has an Atomic (I forget which one...B2 maybe?).

One question I have not really figured out the answer to (but then I don't have the Atomic myself) is whether it is okay to soak the Atomic reg when it is not attached to a tank. I believe it has some sort of seat saver feature and this is why I'm not sure -- it may leave the regulator open/vulnerable to water during the soaking process?

Ultimately, I would like to have a tank of my own for soaking any regs, but at this time neither I, nor my usual buddy, has one, so we sometimes soak our regs un-attached to any tank (obviously if you have a tank then this isn't a concern). We of course are careful to have the dust caps on tightly.

I just mention it as something that might apply to you or that you might want to check on.

I have a Zeagle regulator (Flathead IV), and my buddy has an Atomic (I forget which one...B2 maybe?).

One question I have not really figured out the answer to (but then I don't have the Atomic myself) is whether it is okay to soak the Atomic reg when it is not attached to a tank. I believe it has some sort of seat saver feature and this is why I'm not sure -- it may leave the regulator open/vulnerable to water during the soaking process?

Ultimately, I would like to have a tank of my own for soaking any regs, but at this time neither I, nor my usual buddy, has one, so we sometimes soak our regs un-attached to any tank (obviously if you have a tank then this isn't a concern). We of course are careful to have the dust caps on tightly.

I just mention it as something that might apply to you or that you might want to check on.

The seat saver of the Atomic is a problem as it's like pressing the purge button when the reg is unpressurized. I'm just not sure of the benefit to be able to say it's a net pro or con. Also I'd prefer to have a manual venturi control, as sometimes I've had big time freeflows that are hard to stop when I remove the reg from my mouth under water with my Atomic.

Adam

Last edited:
Both regs are good, but I have never found a regulator more comfortable to use than the Atomic with swivel hose and low pressure turret. I have always used B2's once they were introduced, but moved to the T2x just after it became available. Plus, their survice group is great. I doubt that I will ever need another reg. Just my opinion.

Both regs are good, but I have never found a regulator more comfortable to use than the Atomic with swivel hose and low pressure turret. I have always used B2's once they were introduced, but moved to the T2x just after it became available. Plus, their survice group is great. I doubt that I will ever need another reg. Just my opinion.

On the other hand the Zeagle uses Miflex hose which is also very comfortable and a simpler solution to the problem. In fact some have switched from the swivel hose to Miflex.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom