DIR Question - Why stages on left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doof

Contributor
Reaction score
As with all things DIR, I'm sure this has a logical answer. I've read the book, but this wasn't completely clear to me. And I don't when I'll be able to take the DIRf class... so I ask in here.

I know that DIR calls for stages to all be on the left hand side. The reason being (as I understand it) is to allow for one-handed valve use and because your right hand is busy with the scooter. Stages on the right hand side would also intefere with the light canister, I would imagine. Plus there's that whole long hose thing.... :wink:

But then I wonder... don't the stages get in the way of things like:

the bellowed pocket?
the lower BC pull dump?
detaching and reattaching the SPG?

Obviously I've never dove with stages, so I don't know how this all works out. So to all of you left-hand-only stage divers (I guess it doesn't have to be a DIR question), how does this all fit?

They do get in the way, particularly of the left side pocket.

Its just something you learn to work around. One deco bottle is no biggie, 2 is more trouble.

For the SPG and dump, you just reach around, very easy actually. The left pocket is more grief but still doable. Most folks keep only rarely needed items in left pocket.

WW

WreckWriter wrote...
The left pocket is more grief but still doable. Most folks keep only rarely needed items in left pocket.
Thought I read somewhere that the WKPP prefers a flat pocket suitable for Wetnotes and tables on the right, presumably for scootering purposes. I wonder if that's incorrect, or if they have some sort of workaround for it.

#1 reason: Deployment of the long hose. You must have the long hose readily available for any gas sharing especially during an emergency.

Also, the canister light is also positioned on the right to aid in storage of the long hose AND to offset the weight of the stages (Note this was developed when the light canister was 5lb negative). Having the stages on one side and the canister on the other results in optimal trim.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
The left pocket is more grief but still doable. Most folks keep only rarely needed items in left pocket.

WW

Exactly, per DIR left is "back-up" so that pocket is not going to hold your primary, but secondary items ...

~<//><

metridium once bubbled...
Thought I read somewhere that the WKPP prefers a flat pocket suitable for Wetnotes and tables on the right, presumably for scootering purposes. I wonder if that's incorrect, or if they have some sort of workaround for it.

You're right, that used to be the standard , may still be for official WKPP divers but most folks I know, including GUE instructors, have recognized the uselessness (is that a word?) of the flat pocket and have gone to a bellows. I peeled off 2 flat pockets and replaced with bellows myself.

WW

Back
Top Bottom